No escape from window and door woes

P Retondo

Here's the latest on my window and door problems (using the "Window" insertion tool): I have the new door and window .vso files sent by Katie, dated 2-10-03. Using these, I get the following: if I select the tool, I see the dotted "preview" object, I can set the desired preferences, and I can place the window. I can continue placing that window successfully. However, whether or not I place a window, if I hit "escape" I cannot go back and use the insertion tool again. When I select it the tool, I DO NOT see the dotted preview object, and when I place a window it does not appear on the screen, although its parameters appear in the OIP.

I use "escape" frequently, to change focus from the OIP to the drawing. I have a habit of using it sometimes between selecting tools, also, though it isn't necessary. This appears to be the source of my problem with the crashing window insertion tools. If I do not use "escape," things appear to go properly. Since I almost always use "esc" to exit the OIP, whenever I have edited a window's parameters there, I have ended up crashing the tools. Hopefully this may be a pretty simple bug - ask the programmer to find out why using "esc" crashes the tools.

I've wondered why a lot of people haven't reported this problem. It may be because most users click on the drawing to change focus from the OIP.

[ 02-21-2003, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

quote:

Originally posted by jfmarch:

I alwaya use the "~" key (the arrow tool) to switch out of other tools, including symbol placement. There is never a problem.

Jim, is this a Mac thing? My tilde key (PC) requires the shift, so I wouldn't use that as a shortcut for clicking the mouse.

Just tried it, and the tilde key on a PC does not act to change focus.

[ 02-23-2003, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

quote:

Originally posted by Robert Anderson:

What are your class option settings?

Forgive me, Robert, but I don't know what you mean by "class option settings."

Update: I work on both a WinXP and a Win2K machine. It appears that the problem involving the "esc" key occurs only with Win2K. I worked for several hours on doors, using "esc", and didn't crash the tools once with WinXP. The first time I tried it again on a Win2K machine, the tools crashed immediately after using "esc."

There are some other differences between these machines - one (WinXP) has a GeForce4 ti 4200 video card, the other (Win2K) has a GeForce3 ti 200.

-Pete

[ 02-24-2003, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

I just loaded the new 10.1 that came in the mail this morning. I used the same Icon on the desktop that had been there sinces first loading vw10. The window and door tools worked great for a while and then I had problems. I switched to stairs (just testing this out) and I was able to use the stairs until I tried to edit a set. At first it said that there was no edit behavior, but then it started editing the flight of stairs. After that I Could Not use the stair tool. I then closed out, put the VW icon in the garbage can, Pulled up a shortcut from VW10.1 and started again. ALL the windows and stairs which wouldn't show before came up on the screen.

I checked them for classes, made that class active,set options to active only, they ALL disappeared. It would seem that they do have a class but it is not recognized. If I use show/snap/modify others they show in black and I can access them. If I gray them, they will never show black no matter which class is active. It appears that they have all been neutered, but still have name tags.

I realize that this is long but it may shed some light on the real problem. Let me know what you think. In the meantime I will use the shutdown method every time I have a problem.

B. Howell, what is probably happening, as RA is suggesting, is that although the object is set to a certain class, which is active, it contains within it a bunch of primitive objects which are members of a different class. Hence, with the "active class only" setting, you are looking at an empty "container".