Make symbol then connect text to a filed in OIP

I'd like to be able to copy/paste a symbol that I've made and have the text be editable from the OIP. Bonus points if I can link that data for later reports. 

What I'm trying to do is make my engineering reports much quicker by being able to drag a symbol to everywhere I've made a connection or have a load, then populate the text as I calculate. My current method is to simply copy-paste and edit the text in the drawing each time, but this is slow and not attached to a record. 

Sorry if there are tutorials about this, I'm new to the power user side of VW. 

Much thanks!

This is possible. You will need to create a Record Format and the Fields you want. Then attach that Record Format to the Symbol Definition. Each time you place a symbol instance it will have the default values of the Record attached. You can then edit these values in the Data pane of the OIP.

If you want them to display on the drawing, you can use the Link Text to Record option to make them part of the symbol and have the text on the drawing update when you change it in the OIP.

Plus since the data is not in a Record, you can access that through a Database Row in a Worksheet and even edit the data there instead of having to go to the OIP for every instance of the symbol.

Take a look at the help and ask again if you need more details.

• Like 1