Text Size Problem

Michal Zarzecki

Question

Hi All,

One of my colleagues who works mostly in AutoCAD challenged me recently with a difference in text size seen in our drawings produced in AC and in VW. 

We have a number of text styles set up and let's say we are looking at 2.5 mm text. When I measure a capital letter in AC at 1:100 it says 250 and 2.5 in a Viewport/ Layout. I have a 2.5 mm text style set up in VW as well. I create my text/ annotation in SLVP Annotation mode. It's assigned to a class that uses my 2.5 mm text style. When I measure the same text in a SLVP, it reads 177 at scale 1/100.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? 

6 answers to this question

As I understand it text sizes in VW use page layout text specifications. That means that the text size is determined by the text bounding box that in turn is determined by the max ascender (usually a Capital letter) and max descender (usually a lower case g). I think there is usually space above (and maybe below) the text that is counted as part of the text also.

image.thumb.png.12c59fea659de2b41d6ed86ce3d5f994.png 

• Like 2

It depends on what is more important.

If you are sending a file to an AC user and it is more important for them to see the text size listed as 2.5mm, then you have to keep sending what you are sending.

If it is more important to send a file that is visually consistent in terms of size, then import a DWG from them that has the correct text size and then trial and error to determine what settings in VW give you the same size on screen. It is likely that the "scale factor" will be different for each font.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Michal Zarzecki said:

Guys, thanks for your views on that. Very interesting what you referred to there, @jeff prince. I will explore the topic, however I feel a bit disappointed that there is no mention of that in VW - or I didn't get to that. It would be at least helpful if it was explained within the Text Style definition window so that a user understands what they will get.

I can certainly understand people having that feeling, especially if they came from a CAD or manual drafting background.

One of these days drawing standards will enter the modern age and embrace typographic standards developed prior to the invention of the printing press 😉.   It is a shame many CAD programs didn’t get on board with digital publishing standards early in their development.   I think Vectorworks is clearly ahead in that regard, especially when bouncing between creative/publishing softwares.

• Like 2