Site contours not adjusting to hardscape

Poot

Hi everyone,

I am having a problem where the proposed site model contours are behaving badly inside a hole within a hardscape.

You can see the existing contours below, and the shape of the paved area which will take an elevation of 44m.

image.thumb.png.fb3d77361a027eb2820c133bfbee9e72.png

When I create the hardscape (slab modifier), the  contours continue to pop up in the cutout area...which means you have geometry spiking up 1-2m from the hardscape

image.thumb.png.56458da400fcb937023c4ac570d41dd2.png

I would obviously prefer if this did not happen, since I cant seem to change this even if I put another slab inside that area.

Is the only alternative to modify the existing contours so that they do not pass through that hole? Even when I adjust existing contours out of the way, the terrain comes up above the landscape area I have placed within the hardscape...

image.thumb.png.d59ca25a43525a17386944f1a0fc4b3c.png

Much thanks....

Test.vwx

Edited by Poot
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes, João is right...the area inside of the hardscape modification does not have anything telling it how to perform, so it is trying to go back to what it was within the confines of that small opening. Placing a pad (offset the opening shape by a few centimeters) and convert that to a site modifier (pad configuration) at the elevation you prefer that planting area surface to be, and it should do what you seek.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The closest thing to a downside of putting a grade limit around the site is only that it might be more accurate for cut and fill if the grade limit is closer to the area being affected. Note in the images below...The first image is without a grade limit, and the proposed grading is not regulated well. The second image shows a grade limit of about 30' from the modifying pad, and the third image shows a grade limit of about 15' from the modifying pad. If the resulting slopes are favorable, the tighter to the modifying work is better for the amount of cut/fill you would propose. Much like it would be on the actual site. If your placement of the grade limit did not cause more proposed grading over the area of the site than you expected, then no need to change.

Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 1.23.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-29 at 1.23.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-29 at 1.23.35 PM.png

• Like 2