Note Manager Text Limit

Kevin

Kevin:

I feel your pain! I have been a VW user since 8.5 (VA 1.0) and the limitation for notes in Note Manager database has always been approx. 245 characters (can't remember the exact number). the limitation is extremely frustrating. I have several standard notes that I use from project to project that are longer than 245 characters and want to maintain in the note manager database. I have resorted to breaking the note(s) into several smaller notes to work around the limitation. I was hoping that VW would increase the limitation in future versions.. 9, 10, etc. no such luck.

Keynotes and Notes create different databases, but you can set the Keynotes Pref. to point to a Notes database.

YOu can only use the Keynote Preferences pointer for the Text Note and Keynote tools.

(this is why you are allowed to point the keynote pref to the notes db)

The keynote/text note tools limit you to placing 250 notes in the drawing, however each database can store up to 499 notes with each note no larger than 256 characters.

There is no limit to the number of databases you can have, except for room on the hard drive preventing the text files from being created. (text files hold the database information)

The keynotes/text notes tools can only be used for one database at a time - the current database Keynote Preferences is pointed to.

If you want, you can place 25 notes from DB 1, you can then go to Keynote Preferences and switch to DB 2 and place 10 more notes from this database. You can keep going thru 250 notes on any given drawing.

Does that help clarify limitations?

I know, it's alot of numbers to keep track of.

[ 02-21-2003, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]

• 8 months later...

hi katie -

is the info below still true for vw-architect 10.5? and please clarify: it's possible to point the keynote prefs to a (general) note db, but not the other way around? if that's true, all db files should be created out of the (general) note prefs, to be able to share them?

also, can you help me with the problem that i described in the vw architect forum yesterday? i can't edit/remove a possibly corrupted db from the keynotes prefs.

thanks

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:

Keynotes and Notes create different databases, but you can set the Keynotes Pref. to point to a Notes database.

YOu can only use the Keynote Preferences pointer for the Text Note and Keynote tools.

(this is why you are allowed to point the keynote pref to the notes db)

The keynote/text note tools limit you to placing 250 notes in the drawing, however each database can store up to 499 notes with each note no larger than 256 characters.

There is no limit to the number of databases you can have, except for room on the hard drive preventing the text files from being created. (text files hold the database information)

The keynotes/text notes tools can only be used for one database at a time - the current database Keynote Preferences is pointed to.

If you want, you can place 25 notes from DB 1, you can then go to Keynote Preferences and switch to DB 2 and place 10 more notes from this database. You can keep going thru 250 notes on any given drawing.

Does that help clarify limitations?

I know, it's alot of numbers to keep track of.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The note and database length limits are true for VWA 10.5. We are aware that this is a high-priority user wish. If you have edited a notes datebase using a text editor, make sure that the number of notes in the database is the same as the number on the first line of the database.