Unshaded Polygon gone crazy

mjm

Tryna understand how it is I cannot stop a SL Unshaded Polygon render mode. thirty-plus minutes in and no keystroke does anything in the VWX window. My uneducated guess is the imported Autocad block of the mobile truss stage is causing the slowdown.

Fine.

I'll never make that mistake again.

How, beyond force-quitting (again today, third, no fourth time) the app does one stop a rogue render?

ESC = fail

CMD+Period = fail

Also, got some really fun restores upon restart. Apparently my workspace gets blown away very force-eject. And the stored one becomes corrupted.

Was gonna report the cpu%, but I can't even make Activity Monitor come to the front.

forty, uh - almost fifty minutes of render time. 

Will try never to make that mistake again

Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 7.21.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 7.25.46 PM.png

Edited by mjm
none really, just irritated as heck. All's I want is to be productive
  • Like 1

@mjm I have felt your pain in the past.  As a preventative, I typically import files from CAD or Sketchup into a new file and clean them up prior to placing them in my file or referencing them.  This gives me a chance to see if a potential problem may occur before it becomes damaging.  It’s not uncommon for me to find rogue geometry during this process and getting rid of it seems to help immensely.  Similarly, when in Vectorworks, I have had to develop the habit of building things like site models, fences, and stairs in clean files and then bring them in once they are behaving.  when I’m in a hurry and deviate from this is when trouble happens.  We shouldn’t have to work like this, but it seems to be the reality 😞

• Like 2
15 hours ago, jeff prince said:

@mjm I have felt your pain in the past.  As a preventative, I typically import files from CAD or Sketchup into a new file and clean them up prior to placing them in my file or referencing them.  This gives me a chance to see if a potential problem may occur before it becomes damaging.  It’s not uncommon for me to find rogue geometry during this process and getting rid of it seems to help immensely.  Similarly, when in Vectorworks, I have had to develop the habit of building things like site models, fences, and stairs in clean files and then bring them in once they are behaving.  when I’m in a hurry and deviate from this is when trouble happens.  We shouldn’t have to work like this, but it seems to be the reality 😞

I don’t know that I agree with your last sentence but I agree with all the rest of it. It’s often good practice to model detailed and specific items in a clean file where one can absolutely track any classes you are adding. It’s not entirely necessary, but it can become a real issue when you create something inadvertently on an incorrect class. 

I think it is ALWAYS good practice to insert someone else’s model into a clean file to fix it up. 

• Like 3