Continuing 10.0.1 window/door problems

P Retondo

When I place a fresh window in 10.0.1 using the Window tool, I automatically get a transom that can't be eliminated whenever I choose bi-parting casement. That doesn't happen with the old Simple Window 2 tool. This is clearly a bug. I hope that the numerous problems with the new window and door tools have been fixed with the upcoming (?) 10.1 release . . . We'd rather not have new tools that don't work! It causes us to lose a lot of production time.

The tool "broke" as I was just using it. The last time I reported this problem, someone had asked if the problem occurs with "On Schedule" unselected. I can now say that it does occur even when "On Schedule" is not selected. All window and door insertion tools cease to work, and any window or door edited in the info palette disappears. I have to quit and restart to restore functionality.

This makes using 10.0.1 impossible. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with it on the current project - if I convert the file back to 9.5, all the windows and doors are UN-EDITABLE in the info palette. USERS BEWARE! I am faced with a potential quit and restart every time I use a window or door tool. I have to say that I am extremely disappointed with the quality of the programming and testing of these tools.

Katie, yes, please send me the better version. I have a pressing need to get a better handle on windows and doors - I don't want to restart my project in v 8.5!

BTW, I have now tested my procedure pretty well. I can insert a number of doors and windows without a problem, quit the program, then open it and - voila! - the new windows and doors are stable and can be edited in the info palette. The trick is, after inserting any new window or door, do not edit any windows or doors before quitting and restarting VW.

[ 02-10-2003, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

I too, have been having problems,not only with plugging in windows, but also with other plug in objects. Being very new to this I tried every way possible to put in a window, all to no avail. Days later they woul all suddenly show up and I would have to delete them all. Where were they?I am usually successful with my first window of the session and then this function quits. If I have a window in and try to reposition it using 'properties', it disappears. I can still call it up on object info eventhough I can't see it. This only works until I exit 'properties' then it is gone for good. I had this same problem with spirals. I could put three or four in (practicing) and then the function quit. It is a gross understatement to say that this is frustrating.

Also, what is a PIO. and when can we get it?

B Howell,

If you placed doors and windows in the drawing and then they disappeared, they were probably in a class that was set to invisible.

Make sure you do not have the none class or the door/window cooresponding class set to invisible.

Also, you will need to have at least Show Others selected under Organize>Class Options.

This will allow you to show all objects in visible classes. THere are some PIOs (plug in objects) that stretch across two classes - their owned class and the none class. You need at least those two classes turned on to see them.

You have a number of PIO's that come with the program such as door, window, stair, column, table, chair, cabinet, etc.

Pete- sending now.

Katie, thanks - the new PIOs definitely solve the transom problem. I will let you know if they solve the tool crashes. The problem described above by B Howell describes exactly the problem I am having, and as you know my problem is not related to class visibility. So I'd be curious to know if B Howell's problem is class related or not. Also, BH, what are the parameters of your system (VW version, operating system)?

[ 02-11-2003, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

Pete, what type of tool crashes are you getting?

Error message?

What tool ?

BH -- What type of crashes are you getting?

What OS, version of VW, etc.

Do you only get it with the spiral tool?

Do yall only get this crashing when more than one file is open, or can it happen with just one file open?

Katie, I've reported this before - see paragraph 2 of the lead post in this string for a succinct description. When I say "tool crash," I mean that just the tool crashes, not the program. All window and door PIO insertion tools cease to operate until the program is restarted.

This problem occurs whether one or several files are open. It occurs on the first info palette edit after placing a fresh window or door.

VW 10.0.1

Win 2K and Win XP

[ 02-12-2003, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

Do the doors and windows disappear in the drawing, or just on the screen ?

When the tool "crashes", can you open a new document and have the tool work, or does it fail here too?

When clicking on the door/window PIO and you get the pref. dialog box pop up, can you click OK?

Can you see a dotten line on the screen representing the door/windo PIO ?

At what point in the process does the door/window become inactive or not visible ?

Are you sure you have the none class and the other door and window classes set to visible with Class Options set to at least Show Others?

Was this file created in VW 9.x or VW 10?

If it was created in 9.5 thru 9.5.3, did you use task manager at all to insert doors and windows?

[ 02-12-2003, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Pete,

This may be the most important question --

When the tool becomes inactive, can you go to the Resource Browser and select the current active file.

Check to make sure you don't have a hatch, symbol, texture, record, worksheet, image, etc (any resource) named "Window" or "Door".

Having another resource by this name will cause this problem.

Katie,

With regards to lost doors and windows, yes I had opened all classes and even all layers and the pio's were not there. I then slowly eliminated layers and the result was no better. This is particularly frustrating after placing a window, seeing it sit there nice and pretty, repositioning it and have it disappear - for ever.

As one of other respondents said, the tool then simply quits. I can set all the properties, click "ok", move the cursor to place the object, but all I have is the small + . Clicking at the location gives me nothing.

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:

Do the doors and windows disappear in the drawing, or just on the screen ?

When the tool "crashes", can you open a new document and have the tool work, or does it fail here too?

When clicking on the door/window PIO and you get the pref. dialog box pop up, can you click OK?

Can you see a dotten line on the screen representing the door/windo PIO ?

At what point in the process does the door/window become inactive or not visible ?

Are you sure you have the none class and the other door and window classes set to visible with Class Options set to at least Show Others?

Was this file created in VW 9.x or VW 10?

If it was created in 9.5 thru 9.5.3, did you use task manager at all to insert doors and windows?

Katie:

When the tools "crash," the following occurs:

The door or window being edited disappears, and will not print. However, it appears to still exist in the file in some form, and that was confirmed by RA when he was able to "restore" the window in a sample I sent him.

The tool crash carries across all documents, including opening a fresh new one.

I can't recall exactly, but I think the preferences dialog box will not open.

The "dotted line" representation of the window which usually appears before placing it does not appear on the screen.

The window or door disappears after placing a new value in the PIO object info dialog box and either pressing "Enter" or moving the cursor to another field, OR after checking a box to open detail in one of the field categories.

I am absolutely certain that this is not a class issue. All classes are visible, checked and double-checked.

This problem first occurred in a document translated from VW 9.5.2. It also occurs in documents created fresh in 10.0.1. It occurs in a brand new document with nothing else in it, so there are no other objects named "door" or "window" in that basic new document with a single layer.

To repeat, it is noteworthy that when I place a new PIO object, if I quit VW and reopen the program, the same new object that would have caused the tool to crash can now be edited with impunity.

Again, I will update you as to whether the revised .vso files you sent me solve this problem. I'm about to find out.

Thanks for your detailed attention to this problem!!!

[ 02-12-2003, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

Katie,

This is strange...

I opened a file I hadn't used a about two weeks, did minor work on the floor plan layer, (It looked just like I had left it) closed out and opened a details layer and worked on that for a few hours. At the end of the day I closed out of that layer and was ready to shut down. For some reason I went back to the floor plan and, lo and behold, there were all the doors I had tried to put in weeks ago. They were scattered throughout the drawing because, at the time I was having problems and didn't want to mess up the walls. Between the time I worked on the floor plan this morning and the time I went back to it at the end of the day I didn't change ANY Class or Layer settings. The doors weren't there this morning but they are now. Where were they hiding all that time?

This is strange indeed.

I have no idea.

Magic is mysterious.

If you get it back to the point where you can't see the doors and windows again, I'd be interrested in looking at the file to see what exactly is going on.

Katie, I'll send you a file with a "disappeared" window in it.

B. Howell: note my procedure for getting the windows and doors to stick (second post in this string). It has been working for me for a week and a half. Hopefully with 10.1 these days will soon be behind us.

[ 02-14-2003, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

Pete,

I just got the file and looked at it.

That's a weird problem.

I did notice that when "Window in Wall" displayed in the OIP, i could change the pen attribute color to something other than black and it showed.

There's something funking no doubt.

I'm going to go talk to RA about it.