Plant list worksheet not filling in scheduled size properly

Holly K

Question

When I run a plant list worksheet the scheduled size is no longer showing properly in the cells, instead it says ='Plant Record'.'Scheduled Size' in the entire column. The other columns (plant name, quantity, ID, etc.) are working fine. I'm in VW 2021 on a Mac.

5 answers to this question

Most likely there is a typo in either the field name or the formula that happened between VW2020 and VW2021.

Enter the worksheet in Edit mode (double click on the image). 

In the Worksheet View menu make sure there is check mark next to Database Headers. This should give you a row like 3 in addition to the 3.1, 3.2, ... subrows.

Click in the column header that is displaying improperly. Click on the disclosure triangle in that column header.

In the dialog box that opens, choose Record then Plant Record, then in the second row choose Scheduled Size.

image.thumb.png.bcce39219e5b67f5ea2008e8668faad2.png

Or just retype the formula to make sure there is not a typo.  ='Plant Record'.'Scheduled Size'

You can't have any extra spaces or it won't work.

Hi guys,

I'm glad to have found this thread as I noticed similar problem yesterday.

What I think happened here was some sort of corruption of a plant style. What I did, I took one of my generic plant styles; inserted instances in a drawing and then inserted my worksheet/ schedule in order to edit plant properties from there. Whatever I typed in this schedule under Scheduled Size, it didn't go through to the plant style. As a matter of fact the plant style appears to have lost the connection with the schedule. The plant instances using that style are counted ok, but the Scheduled Size parameter is not cross-updating.

Another thing I noticed in the same drawing, was that some plants disappeared from the drawing but are still counted in the schedule. When I open teh schedule and choose to Select Item (i.e. those 'ghost' plants) nothing happens. All classes and layers are set to be visible. I reset plugins but it didn't help either.

I had a very simple job to do and trying to resolve that issue (without success) took me more time and effort than the job itself. I will probably start a fresh drawing for that, but I would like to understand what happened, to avoid it in the future.

Any help here would be great.

I'm not sure if I am reading you correctly or not, but here goes.

You have a bunch of plants in a schedule, and the Scheduled Size is linked to the plant Style, not by Instance?

If that is the case, then I would not expect the Style to update when you edit in the worksheet. The worksheet is only showing the data that is attached to the instance. In some cases the data you are seeing is "mapped" from the style, but it is a one way thing with data flowing from the Style to the instance, but not the other way around. That is why you have to Edit Style to change those items.

I don't understand the part about "lost connection" whatever is in the plant record (or mapped to the plant record) should be showing in the worksheet. If you have a mix of Styles with some having the size by instance and some by style that could be part of the issue, but I am really not sure.

@Pat Stanford, thank you for your reply.

Could you clarify what you meant by 

On 5/7/2022 at 8:58 PM, Pat Stanford said:

the Scheduled Size is linked to the plant Style, not by Instance?

I know that Height and Spread can be set to be by style or by instance, but I don't know how I would choose to make the Scheduled Size parameter (i.e. the one in a Plant Style's Schedule pane) by instance. Not that I want though anyway.

On 5/7/2022 at 8:58 PM, Pat Stanford said:

If that is the case, then I would not expect the Style to update when you edit in the worksheet. The worksheet is only showing the data that is attached to the instance. In some cases the data you are seeing is "mapped" from the style, but it is a one way thing with data flowing from the Style to the instance, but not the other way around. That is why you have to Edit Style to change those items.

Mmm, not sure if we are on the same page. I may not fully understand how Plant Styles work and how data records attached to them link to worksheets.

In most instances, I can edit the data in a worksheet - either inserted in the model or from the Resource Manager - and the data attached to the plant style will be updated. For example, I can change Height at Purchase or Root Protection in any worksheet and the same information will appear in the Style. It looks like it's only Scheduled Size that doesn't - and once it has been changed through a worksheet and not within the Style, it won't work (i.e. cross update) any longer. These are my observations.

What I said about the 'connection' is as I explain/ describe above, but it looks like it only applies to the Scheduled Size parameter