Lock down the palettes in VW

Kaare Baekgaard

Question

20 answers to this question

doesn't solve your problem, but making a custom workspace with all the repeating tools you use across the top (or preferred location) has been a great help to me.

Also custom right & left click commands and custom hot keys way to go! 

I'm only clicketyclick speed though......!!!

Screenshot 2021-06-03 at 09.24.58.jpg

• Like 1

@Pat Stanford That makes more sense - currently the saved palettes are saved as a preference that is unrelated to the permanent layout of the Workspace.  The bit I don't understand is the notification after saving palette positions that it is being saved to the Workspace.   It looks like this is not the case, though it would be much more useful.

Save Palette Positions Notice.png

Edited by E|FA
Added screenshot

It is extremely frustrating working pallets are not locked into place. The font and icons are so small that is it very easy to catch a tab with your mouse and disrupting your pallets setup. I spend more time in a day re-setting up my workspace, finding where tabs are. I'm on a mac, using duel screens and have been a VW user for over 15 years. I'm not sure why this is such a problem now. It never use to be and is really making working really inefficient. I would love an option to lock them in place.

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Kaare,

Sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with the feature.  Early on we made some changes to make it harder to accidentally detach the tabs but some users reported that they were still having problems, while many other didn't have an issue at all.

As Andy shared (thanks!), we added a new Lock tabs option in the utility menu of the palettes.  When this is turned on you won't be able to detach or rearrange the tabs.  Turning this on won't set things back to the way that they were, so you can move tabs around or detach them and then lock them how you want them to avoid accidental changes in the future.

Hopefully this helps you out and thanks for your continuing feedback.

-Ian

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mike m oz said:

I'd like a way to lock down docked pallets as well.  

I regularly accidentally undock the Basic tool palette and I wish there was a way of stopping that happening.

Agreed. At the very least, palettes need the same treatment that tabs got last year in regards to needing a more deliberate click and drag before they start moving. I accidentally move or undock palettes all the time…

And now with the “Set All Attributes By Class” utility being in the menu bar of the Attributes Palette, I’m even more prone to accidentally undocking it. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Ian Lane said:

Kaare,

Sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with the feature.  Early on we made some changes to make it harder to accidentally detach the tabs but some users reported that they were still having problems, while many other didn't have an issue at all.

As Andy shared (thanks!), we added a new Lock tabs option in the utility menu of the palettes.  When this is turned on you won't be able to detach or rearrange the tabs.  Turning this on won't set things back to the way that they were, so you can move tabs around or detach them and then lock them how you want them to avoid accidental changes in the future.

-Ian

I meant tabs, Ian. I am not a native english speaker, so some words become muddled.

Thanks 🙂

On 9/15/2021 at 3:47 PM, Ian Lane said:

Kaare,

-Ian

I have been hoping for locked palettes forever . Ian  

• Like 2