No longer able to isolate view in viewport annotation space

Question

4 answers to this question

Well I just had to copy all the viewports and paste them in a new sheet...

...which disconnected all my section lines.

I couldn't figure out how to redirect existing section lines to new viewports - so I made new section lines and connected them to the copied viewports.

Which works, except that now if I adjust the section line it doesn't adjust the view crop.

Unfortunate.

I deleted the buggy sheet layer and everything seems to be working again.

12 hours ago, hollister design Studio said:

Well I just had to copy all the viewports and paste them in a new sheet...

...which disconnected all my section lines.

Yes, since the pasted ones are 'new' viewports and not literally the same old ones. Typically instead of copy/pasting between sheets, you'd want to select the VPs and reassign the Layer in the OIP which moves them there (though in this case I'm not sure if this would've addressed your underlying reason for doing it in the first place).

12 hours ago, hollister design Studio said:

I couldn't figure out how to redirect existing section lines to new viewports - so I made new section lines and connected them to the copied viewports.

Which works, except that now if I adjust the section line it doesn't adjust the view crop.

Unfortunate.

It helps to separate Section Lines in your head into two categories:

1. Section Lines which are inherently connected to the extents of a Section Viewport - when you modify the Section Line it adjusts the Section Viewport accordingly. You could say they "define" the Section Viewport.
    -vs-
  2. Standalone Section Lines that are simply 'linked' to a viewport in order to auto-coordinate things like Drawing #, Sheet #, etc. This type of marker does NOT link geometrically to a Section Viewport; it's for text data only. Note that Reference Markers, Detail Callout Markers, and other tools have this same linking functionality as of 2021. Also note that you can choose any viewport to link to at will in the OIP dropdown, whereas Section Lines that define a viewport have this dropdown greyed out.

What you're wanting is the first type, but when you "made new section lines and connected them to the copied viewports" that's the second type.

The first type is created automatically when you create a Section Viewport. The only way to regenerate them or to add more is to go to the Section Viewport, scroll to the bottom of the OIP, and click on the Section Line Instances button. In the pop-up, click the checkmark column to add new Section Lines to the desired Design Layers and/or Viewports. It will regenerate Section Lines that will work as you expect.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

...The only way to regenerate them or to add more is to go to the Section Viewport, scroll to the bottom of the OIP, and click on the Section Line Instances button. In the pop-up, click the checkmark column to add new Section Lines to the desired Design Layers and/or Viewports. ...

@Andy Broomell  - This is exactly what I was looking for!

I just learned about 'section line instances' a month ago (thanks @Jesse Cogswell) when I couldn't seem to get visible section lines where I wanted them.

One added note:

'Section line instances' is a REALLY good reason to name your viewports (down at the bottom of the OIP or at creation) and not just using the drawing title and calling it a day. Finding the viewport you want in a list of un-unique names ( section-15, section-16, etc...) is mind numbing! Finding "L208/ Entry Plan View" in a list is relatively easy.

And thanks for the super clear and concise explanation... if only the help files where so helpful!

Edited by hollister design Studio
  • Like 2
34 minutes ago, hollister design Studio said:

One added note:

'Section line instances' is a REALLY good reason to name your viewports (down at the bottom of the OIP or at creation) and not just using the drawing title and calling it a day. Finding the viewport you want in a list of un-unique names ( section-15, section-16, etc...) is mind numbing! Finding "L208/ Entry Plan View" in a list is relatively easy.

For sure.

I also make heavy use of the search field at the top of that dropdown.

• Like 1