model setup

welshpe

What part are you confused with?

The section you are entering values in turns RED when selected.

The values below it for elevation, ceiling, etc have a letter or letters in ( ) to the right of it.

Those letters are reflected on the diagram with arrows pointing to what that measurement will entail.

what slab should be used for slab thickness? should they be negative (-)? Is elevation (F) the actual top of slab or bottom of slab? Looks like top of slab on Mod-Floor-2 and Bottom of slab on Mod-Floor-1. Can you use real world values for Elevation (F)? If so, gaps appear in the elevations! Ceiling height © on Mod-Floor-1 appears to begin above the floor (FF)? What's the gap in the diagram?

MOD-FOUNDATION

This can be a negative number if you want 0" to be set somewhere in the drawing.

Some people like the layers to be set up relative to where 0" falls on the house while others don't mind using 0" for the bottom of the foundation.

This is a personal preference.

MOD-FLOOR-B1

Elevation is equal to B1 in the diagram.

This is where the basement will start.

Basically you add the elevation of the Foundation to the thickness of the foundation, and that's what you should have for B1. This can also be a negative number or below 0".

The slab thickness is the thickness of the slab between the basement and 1st floor.

Slab Thickness- equals the thickness of this aformentioned slab.

MOD-FLOOR-1

Elevation = FF

Per the diagram, FF starts at the bottom of the floor of Floor 1, just above the slab.

This is equal to foundation + Mod Floor B1 and the slabs.

Ceiling Height = C

This is the difference in height between the floor and the bottom of the overhead slab.

As the diagram shows.

Slab thickness-

This is the thickness of the slab of the overhead floor.

MOD-FLOOR-2

Elevation = FF

Where in the elevation does this floor start -

Add the Foundation + Mod Floor B1 + Mod Floor 1 and all the slabs between

Ceiling Height -

The height of this layer between the top of the below slab or floor to the bottom of the overhead slab.

Slab Thickness

Thickness of the overhead slab.

ROOF

Elevation = R in the diagram.

This is where the roof will start.

Add Foundation + B1 + Floor 1 + Floor 2 and all the slabs.

Shortcut for the elevation on the floors --

Add the elevation from the preceeding layer and the ceiling and the slab together.

This value will be the elevation setting for the next layer.

If you are going to use Wall Type Tool and have the type set to use wall height, make sure you select Bottom of overhead slab, Floor to Floor or Fixed at accordingly.

Otherwise, the walls will be too tall or too short.

If you have a gap in a layer link elevation view, then one of the above values is incorrect.

Example:

I want the ground to be in the middle of my basement. So I am going to set a point to be 0" at 4' above the elevation of the basement.

My basement is going to be 8' thick

My Foundation is going to be 8" thick

Mod Foundation -

Elevation = -4'8"

Mod Floor B1

Elevation = -4'

Slab Thickness = 1'

Mod Floor 1

Elevation = 5' (4+1)

This is made by the basement with a height of 8' starting at -4, going up to 4' plus the 1' slab.

Ceiling Height = 8' (I want 8' walls between the floor and the ceiling)

Slab Thickness = 1'

Mod Floor 2

ELevation = 14'

(5' elevation of Mod Floor 1 plus the 8' walls plus the 1' elevation)

Ceiling Height - 8'

Slab Thickness = 0 ( i don't want a slab between my floor two and roof)

ROOF

Elevation == 22'

(elevation of Floor 2 plus 8' walls [14+8] = 22')

If you still don't get it after the explaination and example, fax the measurements of your house including wher eyou want 0 to be relative to your drawing, the thickness of slabs, wall height, etc.

I'll fill in values for you and maybe that will help aid in understanding how it works.

Thanks for the in-depth explanation. Maybe when I can find some logic in a slab being above the floor I'm working on and that the Foundation may include the basement "slab" I will be able to make some sense of it all. Just seems to me that working in real world units with slab thicknesses of the floor in question would make it easier to comprehend. (i.e. just add elevations to the section and let the computer figure out the rest)

You can have your slab below included in the layer. BUT, if you do this, the elevation changes for the layer itself. If you are going to draw a wall and have it set to use layer elevation and ceiling thickness, the walls will probably be the wrong size.

This is probably the reasoning behind having the slabs between floor 1 and floor 2 be on the floor 1's layer.

When you enter in the information for elevation in Model Setup, this is setting the elevation for the related layer.

By entering information for the slab and the ceiling height or wall thickness, you are setting up the delta z values for the coordinating layers.

This is just a thought, but you might be able to set the slab thickness to -1 instead of +1 to have it go below the layer. I haven't tried this yet and I dont have much time to try it until later in the day possibly.