Coming back to VWA... what's new?

Grace Mann

Hi everyone! I've been out of the VW world for a few years and I was wondering how VWA has developed since v8.

Are the sections and elevations in VWA live now? If you cut thru the layer linked model or "copy convert to lines" is it possible to maintain the connection between these views and the model?

And can you set the hatched appearance of walls to be based on a wall style of some kind so you can update the properties of the wall style and see the change in both plans, sections and elevations?

These were things I was always hoping for when I worked with VW three years ago.

TIA,

Grace

I think VW 9 is pretty good, but VW 10 is available now as well.

"Are the sections and elevations in VWA live now? If you cut thru the layer linked model or "copy convert to lines" is it possible to maintain the connection between these views and the model?"

No- you still have to do the copy convert.. command, unless you use a layer link setup of some sort.

"And can you set the hatched appearance of walls to be based on a wall style of some kind so you can update the properties of the wall style and see the change in both plans, sections and elevations?"

Yes- the classes command is quite powerful that way with plans. But it does not translate into sections/elevations in a hot link way.

Again, for what VW does its pretty good. But its not Microstation.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

VWA has made a lot of progress since the version based on VW8. Here are a few random features, in no particular order or priority:

WALLS

-now maintain their connections when reshaping in 2D;

-maintain their "joins" when reshaped;

-now have true Y-joins (this is true in VectorWorks Foundation);

SPACE PLANNING

-new Space objects report areas, perimeters of spaces;

-New Create Walls from Spaces and Create Spaces from Walls commands;

DIMENSIONING

-Dimension Floor Plan command dimensions entire floor plan with a single command;

-New Grid Bubble dimension object for placing column grids quickly and easily;

-New Slope Dimension object for dimensioning roofs and ramps;

SETUP/VIEWING

-Model Setup command allows you to set up your model and begin design without worrying about standards or naming;

-Custom Naming command allows you to use VWA, AIA, or user-defined naming for layers and classes interchangeably;

-Model View Tool creates one-click elevations or perspectives from your model layers;

FRAMING

-Complete floor and roof framing commands in addition to Wall Framer;

-Floor framing joists can be (in 3D) solid wood, wood trusses, I-joist, steel bar joist, or WF steel beam.

MEP

-Electrical circuiting tool to create automatic electrical panel schedules and elevations;

-Comprehensive set of HVAC ductwork objects that work in 2D and 3D with extensive notational and take-off features;

-Export to DOE-2 data format;