Rotating around a 3D Edge

I am trying to fold a flat shape. i figured the easiest way to do it would be to split the shape where i want to fold it and then rotate it along the axis. I've done it in the past by siting down the axis and then rotating arround the screen plane, but that isn't precise and rather tedious. is there a way to set the working plane perpendicular to an axis?

something like this. I'm talking to a conservator about displaying a tipi. I'm doing it here by, as stated above, sighting down the seam then rotating along the screen plane. it would be easier if i could just snap along the edge and make that the rotation axis. 

1346001668_ScreenShot2021-05-04at8_42_14AM.thumb.png.1a5c9fbadcbc2543458f341bbc9fc35b.png

Yes, thank you, that is a good way to make a Tipi. I guess i should rephrase my question.

How does one pivot a shape along a specific axis, where there is not a perpendicular surface to automatically define the working plane.

30 minutes ago, iswope said:

How does one pivot a shape along a specific axis, where there is not a perpendicular surface to automatically define the working plane.

I usually draw a guide shape to do this or rotate my objects so the direction of rotation is easily achieved, do the rotation and then restore the object position. Unfortunately the Rotate tool doesn't really make this very easy. I think I've wishlisted something like this in the past. If there were a "universal" widget like in most other 3d software it would be easy to rotate around an axis.

Kevin

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, MultipleWays said:

Another possibility:  Create a cone, Create draped surface over the cone, then perform solid subtractions to the surface for the door, hole at the top, shaping the bottom.

Thank you, That is a good way to make a Tipi, not quite my question, but useful, in that I'd forgotten about the draped surface command. 

44 minutes ago, iswope said:

Yes, thank you, that is a good way to make a Tipi. I guess i should rephrase my question.

More to the point, this is a workaround I've used in the past:  Create a sacrificial basic 3D cube and position it as needed.  Then you can use the flat surfaces of the cube to rotate on any of the axis' more easily.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, MultipleWays said:

More to the point, this is a workaround I've used in the past:  Create a sacrificial basic 3D cube and position it as needed.  Then you can use the flat surfaces of the cube to rotate on any of the axis' more easily.

BINGO! that sounds like the answer!. Thanks!

Now, hopefully I will remember this the next time I need it!

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I usually draw a guide shape to do this or rotate my objects so the direction of rotation is easily achieved, do the rotation and then restore the object position. Unfortunately the Rotate tool doesn't really make this very easy. I think I've wishlisted something like this in the past. If there were a "universal" widget like in most other 3d software it would be easy to rotate around an axis.

Kevin

@Kevin McAllister 

A widget would be very helpful.  I'm not sure how to move this to the wishlist, but I would vote for that.

• Like 1

@iswope can you split your flat tipi then draw NURBS curves along each of the split lines: you can then snap working planes on the split lines + they will automatically be perpendicular to the NURBS meaning you can snap the Rotate tool to the working plane + fold the segments on those lines

1544228813_Screenshot2021-05-04at16_47_50.thumb.png.27b033115e8e83ab0cb792be273fa140.png

Edited by Tom W.
  • Like 4
49 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

@iswope can you split your flat tipi then draw NURBS curves along each of the split lines: you can then snap working planes on the split lines + they will automatically be perpendicular to the NURBS meaning you can snap the Rotate tool to the working plane + fold the segments on those lines

awsome, that is a feature of Nurbs curves that I didn't know about!

• Like 2