Notes Manager and Keynote Legends

LauraCB

Question

I have been testing using the notes manager function prior to introducing it to our team and have a few things I wanted to check having read through previous threads on here

- Is there a way to set up a 'style' for the keynote legends? We have the callout tool setup within our Vectorworks template file so it will always default to format the same. I can't see a way of setting this up for the keynote legends and it is time consuming changing the font and spacing on every sheet.

- We are using project sharing from a server so the current plan would be to save project specific databases within the individual project folder. This would be set up with 'absolute path'. Is there any reason not to use this way for a project specific database

- Are there any issues to be aware of when adjusting notes in project sharing? Assuming only one person can update the notes manager at once - is there a way to check this out or know if someone else is using it to avoid conflicts?

- Is this a way to remove the link to the default database that are setup with Vectorworks. I want to remove them so there is no confusion for the team and we only have one database associated with a project file. I have deleted them out of the application defaults but they are still showing on the drop down list within the notes manager.

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

For Keynote legends I don’t think you can set up a default “style”. What we have done is create a keynote legend the way we like it and then place a copy on the relevant sheets of our template files. (We only use keynotes on sheet layers). This way keynotes created on these sheets will use the extg keynote legend on the sheet by default rather than create a new “unstyled” one.

9 hours ago, LauraCB said:

We are using project sharing from a server so the current plan would be to save project specific databases within the individual project folder. This would be set up with 'absolute path'.

This is what we do. The only downside I can think of maybe if you create a new project from another project file then the new file will still be referring to the orig file’s database.

Re project sharing, I haven’t used it that much to be certain but I don’t see why it shouldn’t work.

9 hours ago, LauraCB said:

- Is this a way to remove the link to the default database that are setup with Vectorworks. I want to remove them so there is no confusion for the team and we only have one database associated with a project file. I have deleted them out of the application defaults but they are still showing on the drop down list within the notes manager.

I tried removing the default databae files but found the database manager just wouldn’t work. I posted about it on the forum a few weeks ago. I had to stick them back. We only recently  upgraded from vw2019 to 2021 so the DB manage is still kind of new for us. 

You can't set up a keynote style, but you can assign the text and the title to Text Styles.  I've been doing this trick where I class the keynote legends and callouts to use class color and then set the legend text and title to text styles that have a white background.  That way the number or keynote description in the legend and the callout can be a color, but not the text or title of the legend.

And if you're building a notes database from scratch, @The Hamma came up with a really cool way of building large databases from an excel spreadsheet without dealing with the notes interface.  It uses one little script and takes only minutes to build a working notes database with thousands of notes.

• Like 1

Thanks @Boh and @michaelk

Adding a keynote legend into templates is a good idea. And setting it up by class style. Will definitely get this set up

Still confused by the default databases and we have also had a couple of instances of the link to our project specific databases dropping out. Hoping this is a glitch rather than a reoccurring issue as it is a real hassle to link it all back to the callouts, especially across a larger project

You've probably already tried this, but I just tried deleting the default notes file (Callouts.txt)  in the user folder and restarting my computer.  There must be another copy someplace else 🙂 .  Even after it's deleted it still shows up as an option for a callout database.