Wall Type and Hatches

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Mark,

With a text editor, take a look at the file:

[VW folder]\Plug-ins\Data\Wall Hatches.VSS

This file defines the 4 wall fill patterns and 7 hatches that are used in the Wall Styles feature. The patterns are hard-coded, but you can substitute any 7 hatches you like with a little cut-and-pasting. You can re-name the hatches, also. My recommendation is to tweak up 7 hatches you like in a blank document, then export that document as VectorScript, then cut-and-paste between that document and the Walls Hatches.VSS document, and name as appropriate.

Caveat: (lightweight) knowledge of VectorScript (or liberal amounts of courage and luck in approximately equal measure) are recommended. Also, save the document in its original form if you mess it up, etc. etc.

• 9 months later...

Being a complete newbie to this program I need a little more guidance on this topic.

We are looking to do exactly what the original poster needed - my question is where do you find the code for the hatch patterns that come in the Attibute Pallet?

We want to use some of those hatches in place of the standard 11.

We can use the "default fill" to take care of one of the hatches by setting the class to the fill that we want and that works fine for interior filled walls, but on the exterior we need to use two different fills that aren't available under the standard 11. We need the inner stud wall to be a pattern off of the Pattern Pallet and the exterior brick offset to be a hatch pattern that isn't in the standard set as well...any ideas?

Thanks

antoine

[ 11-03-2003, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: AntoineDeHon ]

The question is answered above. If you want to create VectorScript versions of your hatches, create the hatches you want in a document using the Hatch Editor and then use the Export VectorScript command to get the code. Then you'll have to do some cut-and-pasting between the file you just created and the file referenced above. Keep a copy of the above-reference file in case the scripting syntax gets messed up.

There is only one "Standard" hatch. The rest you define (in infinite variety!) in the hatch editor. As I said above, you can use your own 7 hatch patterns, but it involves scripting. My advice is to define some documents that have hatches you like, save them, then export them as VectorScript and examine the script code in the export file. You'll see a section that says:

{Hatch Definition Entries}

Following this will be the script code that creates the hatches. If you look at the file mentioned above in the second entry, you'll see similar looking script.

As I said above, (and I will repeat with emphasis) SOME KNOWLEDGE OF VECTORSCRIPT IS RECOMMENDED. By this I mean that if you are able to cut-and-paste from one document to the other and get everything to work properly with NO knowledge of VectorScript, then I want to take a long weekend at Las Vegas and provide you with a stake!

Take a look at the VectorScript Reference in your on-line documentation for more info.