Walls inside a symbol apartment do not comply

I have this apartment design that I thought was useful to convert to a symbol since it will be repeated. But I find that elements inside it: walls, doors, windows will behave strangely and not comply with my attempts to locate them vertically or size them. These 3 walls were perfectly sized and now they went rogue and I can't locate the below the railing. I can resize them and locate them on +0 level outside the symbol but they go nuts again once inside the apartment symbol. Can't figure out whats going on.

Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 1.38.22 PM.png

Walls or other PIO that are Story/Level bound will not work

from within Symbols as they can't recognize or react to what

happens outside of the Symbol world.

A bit better (but still not 100% reliable ?) is the use of 3D

Design Layer Viewports.

Not sure what is the best way for calculations and tables,

because of object counting, Spaces, annotations, ....

Beside it may be better if you just copy your (grouped ?) Walls

including Doors and Windows traditionally and only put save

objects (like Furniture, ...) into a Symbol.

Or if you are lucky and all Apartments have same Story/Level heights,

and you want to use especially a Symbol,

switch the Wall top/bottom to absolute numbers or Layer and Layer Wall

heights.

Edited by zoomer

Thanks Zoomer. I was figuring it had ti do with the symbol being in a sort of spatial limbo, but why can't I tell the walls to accept a relative height just as they accept a horizontal dimension? I already switched the wall top/bottom to Layer Wall Height and Layer Elevation and it has no effect, I cannot edit anything.. There obviously is a method to the madness bc as you can see some of the wall do not go nuts, but I cannot figure it out.

This has to have been an issue with more famous architects who do office or condo designs. How do they do it?

Edited by Ramon PG

I use both DL viewports and walls in symbols for hotel work. The walls in symbols are the interior hotel unit walls. Their heights are defined by layer height rather than storey / level bound. I have had occasional issues with the wall heights where I’ve had to adjust their heights but once they behave and I don’t edit the symbol in any other way they manage to keep the heights set. It may be better to edit the symbols in place rather than via the RM. 

If you can’t get it working it may be better to try DL viewports instead. 

I use design layers vps for repeating floors. A current project of mine is a 6 storey hotel. Levels 3 to 6 are pretty well identical so levels 4-6 are just DL VPs of level 3. Each DL VP lives on its own DL and z heights are controlled via the layer elevation control.

Ill look at the file later today to see if there is anything else I do to make it work. 

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Boh said:

I use both DL viewports and walls in symbols for hotel work. The walls in symbols are the interior hotel unit walls. Their heights are defined by layer height rather than storey / level bound. I have had occasional issues with the wall heights where I’ve had to adjust their heights but once they behave and I don’t edit the symbol in any other way they manage to keep the heights set. It may be better to edit the symbols in place rather than via the RM. 

If you can’t get it working it may be better to try DL viewports instead. 

I use design layers vps for repeating floors. A current project of mine is a 6 storey hotel. Levels 3 to 6 are pretty well identical so levels 4-6 are just DL VPs of level 3. Each DL VP lives on its own DL and z heights are controlled via the layer elevation control.

Ill look at the file later today to see if there is anything else I do to make it work. 

Thanks Boh, I'll give it a try... I haven't used DLVP since a few years back. I'm relearning some of the basics. 

So looking at my hotel file the room unit symbols consist of only a few walls. The intertenancy walls and exterior walls are not part of the symbols. I have used window styles to control the exterior windows and design layers to repeat floor layouts.

As there are only minor differences between floors 3-6 I have used classes to control the visibilities of these objects on each floor.

I don't know if this is the best way to do this. At the moment we are just doing a reclad on this project so we haven't had to play with the interiors and the unit symbols much.

You can see my file set up in this short vid.

Hope that is helpful.

Cheers

Edit:

I note also that looking at the wall style used in the symbols it is super basic with no components. That maybe a factor in how well they behave in symbols, not sure, maybe not.

image.thumb.png.326502dc0e7b5c43a412a0e174b7abc8.png

Also to note this model was created in vw version 2019. I don't know how it would behave if using version 2015 which you are using.

Edited by Boh
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Good morning folks (at least here in Canada),

This question is a little off topic but you folks have experience with DLVPs and we're just getting into using them so you might have some insight. 

We use data tags in the office for window and door identification in sections / elevations and I can't get them to tag the DLVP windows / doors in my elevation. I'm assuming it's because those windows / doors aren't actually there so the data tag tool doesn't see them. I have found a work around which is tag the windows multiple times and move the data tag up to the DLVPs.

Below is a screenshot of the elevation in question. The 2nd-4th floor are the same layout so the 2nd floor is where the geometry is and the 3rd-4th are DLVPs.

1426757830_ScreenShot2022-07-26at09_29_28.thumb.jpg.965211795dd34ba3c9099019aaafbc53.jpg

Any thoughts or alternative methods would be appreciated.

Thanks folks and have a great day.

- Dylan

I haven’t tried applying data tags to DLVPs before but I imagine you are correct as to why it’s not working. You’ve come up with a clever workaround to tag the windows  however I am wondering if it’s necessary. If the windows are just duplicates on each floor why not use the window object built in ID label?

I'd completely forgotten about the built in ID label!

I just played with it and I remember why I was so happy data tags came along. It's a great feature but I always have trouble with it representing the text properly at different scales. I might be missing a setting somewhere but when I applied the built in ID label on the elevation at 1/8" = 1'-0", the text is far to small. 

The workaround takes a little longer but I'm happier with the final look of the labels. 

• Like 1