Identical fixtures, positions, focuses--different beam angles

JB_Tech3

Question

I'm hoping this is a simple user error and easily fixed, but I'm having issues getting the beam angles of my fixtures to match.  The issue is happening with almost all the fixtures shown in the first screenshot, but I've selected just two for clarity.  I'm currently running VW2020 SP6 on Windows 10.

Basically, I have these two fixtures which are both using the same symbol, are placed perfectly symmetrical from center, have the same y and z positions, and are focused on two points which are also placed perfectly symmetrical from center.  Both fixtures have the same beam and field angles, and the throw calculations are 100% identical.  However, when draw beam is enabled, it is clear that Vectorworks is drawing the two beams very differently.  I've re-entered numbers, refreshed the symbols, verified everything matches, but they still are drawn differently.  I replaced the symbols with various other ones throughout the Vectorworks library and the problem persists regardless of which symbols are used.

To rule out the possibility that the project file is screwed up somehow, I decided to start from a new file, which I've attached.  In the new file, I used symbols taken directly from the Vectorworks library, set them up symmetrically and focused them each on symmetrically placed focus points.  They are 100% mirrored from each other.  Still, the beam angles are not the same.

I first noticed this on SP5 and have since updated to SP6 hoping it would kind of fix itself--but no luck.  Any help or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.  I feel like I've run out of ideas on how this could be fixed, but hopefully I've just overlooked something.  Thanks in advance.

beam angle issue.png

new file beam angle issue.png

Beam Angle Issue.vwx

2 answers to this question

There is for sure something wonky happening in VW2020.  I opened this first in 2021 SP3.1 and it looked exactly as you would expect, so I opened it in 2020 SP5 and I'm seeing exactly what you are seeing.  There appears to be a but where the focus orientation cannot be -90.  Moving the focus point or the fixture 0.01" in either direction on the Y axis seems to alleviate the issue.

At this point, I don't think VW will fix this in 2020, as it appears to have been fixed already in 2021.  As a workaround, I would make the focus point objects on the SL side of the center 0.01" higher on the Y axis.  That way your beams draw correctly and your fixtures are still in the correct position.  Annoying bug, though.