3D Symbol Components

I have several symbols that have low, medium and high resolution 3D-components in a drawing.

All components are in the same class as the symbols.

Now I want to convert the symbols to groups, but want to keep only the high resolution component and delete the other components.

The problem is that there seems to be no way to select the low and medium objects AFTER the symbols are converted to groups.

Do I really have to edit each symbol first, (BEFORE converting) ? (It's about 100 symbols to edit.)

Maybe someone here has an idea how to tag, filter and select the symbol components ?

It appears that the Detail level information is stored only in the symbol definition and not carried with the objects when they are converted into the group.

A script could be written that would edit the symbols and either delete the low and medium objects or assign them a record that contained the detail level information so that after you ungroup you could use that to find the low and medium objects.

Thank you Pat 🙂

On 4/30/2021 at 6:56 PM, Pat Stanford said:

It appears that the Detail level information is stored only in the symbol definition and not carried with the objects when they are converted into the group.

Yes, thats what I stumbled over. A script seems to be the only way. I have looked for a V.S. function that addresses the level information but could not find it. Do you have any hints ?

(Or maybe some code snipplets to start with ?)

Meanwhile for my current problem I found a workaround: Since my goal was to export only the geometry to .dwg and stripping off all symbol and class information I exported to 3Ds and re-imported to VW. This imports/exports only the current visible detail level and results in a mesh model. Afterwards I can adapt the file size of the .dwg via the simplify mesh command.

The Detail Level is readable by ObjectVariableBoolean calls. 

image.thumb.png.72daca5803173e2df814f3142d631c51.png

I don't know why they are Read Only.

If ObjectVariableBoolean(HandleToYourObject, 752) then NextObject(HandleToYourObject)

Else 

Begin

If ObjectVariableBoolean(HandleToYourObject ,751) then DelObject(HandleToYourObject);  {delete objects with medium detail}

If ObjectVariableBoolean(HandleToYourObject ,751) then DelObject(HandleToYourObject);  {delete object with low detail}

NextObject(HandleToYourObject};

End;