Separate Class and Layer Mapping and let Class Mapping use the same XML as DWG export, and give option to use mapping table in IFC export too

shorter

Question

Separate Class and Layer Mapping and let Class Mapping use the same XML as DWG export, and give option to use mapping table in IFC export too

Title says it all.

Why do we need to maintain two mapping tables; one for the 'Class and Layer Mapping' and one for 'DWG Export'.

And we rarely have to map layers, so please separate the two, or a button the the Class and Layer Mapping command to 'Ignore Layers'.

If xml is the way most dialogs are going, the Class and Layer Mapping command should use the same mapping table.

Also think it is time to deprecate 'Standard Naming' and 'Auto-Classing' using 'VWArch' classes.

And then, add an option to use the same mapping table when exporting IFC.

Thanks.

Edited by shorter

7 answers to this question

3 hours ago, shorter said:

We always prefix or tag classes, and then set up filters to display only our classes and hide the rest.

I have not done that, maybe it's worth a try. However, I am more interested in changing the Classes, not just unseeing them.

For example. When using stock Spotlight symbols or truss, a wide range of classes come into the document. Lighting devices are classed by type of light (LED, etc) and I just don't care. I would like all of the devices to be classed in oe way. I have separate Classes for 2D components.

Thi is especially an issue with new users suddenly dealing with an overly complex class system

Just now, shorter said:

Aha! Yes! The curse of autoclassing!

Although it would still be imperfect, I would love to set up mapping such that these classes (however many) from within the VWX template file, should be Kevin's Class X. Always.

Impeerfect in that I almost. always want to fine tune things, but that would go a long way

I have long since thought that the abiloty to run the mechanisms to remove autoclassing are too deeply embedded or convoluted to be used reliably by mere mortals.

A pulldown menu with the 'preferred' CAD standard selected from a list would be so useful, in a similar way that a saved view can be selected from it's menu.

We sort of have that in the DWG export, but we also need the option to work in BS1192, or not; ISO13657, or not, etc, and be able to flip between the two.

Obviously it would mean setting up an xml or mapping table somewhere and that's usually the problem, because that's quite a lot of effort, and way most need someone to manage it and do it for them, i.e. mugs like me!

Edited by shorter
  • Like 1