DTM crashing 11.5

Lynda

I now have three file versions of data for which I am trying to create a dtm. This same data has already been used in 11.1 succesfully. Have now added some additional contours and want to create a new dtm.

Have used polylines to 2d polygons to contours for the data. Everytime I run create dtm VW 11.5 crashes!

I have a new file with the same data converted to 3d loci but same result.

I'm running Windows 2000 v 5 service pack 4. Pentium 4 CPU 2.53ghz. 523280kb ram. Sorry not very technical!

If you're starting with polylines and converting them to get polygons (which you should) make sure that your 2d conversion res is set to low (in preferences). Even then you get a lot of vertices. Starting by drawing polygons with as few vertices as you can live with is makes life esier.

Just to check and see if I was going to have problems in 11.5 I took a set of 3D polygons from an old 3 acre site, 27% slope with driveway and house site contoured; all together 70 contour lines. Not large, but it cranked out the DTM in about one second, and I don't have a monster cpu.

A note form another thread - check in front or side view to make sure all your 3D polys are restricted to their z planes.

Minimizing the number of vertices can't be overemphasized.

Lynda,

There's ton of stuff to DTM. It takes loads of trail & error to get good results. Even the smallest artifact and scramble the process. Look out for duplicate 3d Loci ... and be certain that the classes are correct. Avoid using more vertices than necessary for the task.

I ran Filter 3 D Polys and got the same 20,1 error message!

There are hundreds of polys so I'm guessing that this is the problem.

Didn't think about the converting preferences first!

Are there any advantages to converting the 2d polys to loci instead of 3d polys?

The original polylines weren't over complex so it must be within the conversions, Disadvantage of being a rookie. I'm now back on 11.1

Lynda

I drastically reduced the 2d conversion rate and have succes with the dtm in v11.1. Thanks all for your help.

Only catch is - when Itry and update with a texture bed - even in a single plain colour - the programme crashes when I update the dtm.

I used an existing polyline shape, created a site modifier as a texture bed and updated - tried to!

What am I doing wrong?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

DTMs crashing are all about "too many vertices". When smoothed polys are converted to polygons (as they must be for 3D), they create many many vertices. Try and draw your texture bed as a polygon (straight sides only) and simplify the geometry as much as possible.

• 3 weeks later...

greetings

I am attempting to do excercise 2 in the landmark training CD, which is a terrain model from data provided by VW, and I get misc error message 20, 1.

I have followed the directions to the letter numerous times. I cannot get past the first instruction for this excercise. I am on a PC running windows xp

Thank you