Working with Bluebeam

In this image from the Bluebeam (a Nemetchek company) website, the "architect" is clearly using a Mac - three Macs, in fact - but Bluebeam dropped support for the Mac platform a couple of years ago and no longer sells a product for Mac users.  Questions about a future product that Macs could use go unanswered.

False advertising?  

image.thumb.png.00256b817db79927ba4600818d0b460f.png

Edited by Chad Hamilton HAarchs
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2
57 minutes ago, michaelk said:

@Chad Hamilton HAarchs I'm able to still run the old version on my Mac running 10.15.5.  The download link isn't easy to find, but I think you can still download it here.

True, but if you need more licenses because your office has adopted the workflow, you cannot buy them.  I'm still running version 2.1 on 10.15.7, and it's getting less stable.

I just think it's slightly humorous that they put a product on their website that they don't support.

• Laugh 1
19 hours ago, Chad Hamilton HAArchs said:

False advertising?  

Unfortunately not... their use of Macs is equally outdated as the architect's dress code ((mostly) black clothes etc) so it is actually appropriate to show those old Macs. 😁

Not sure why a supposedly creative profession as architecture seems to have basically one overly used "dress code".

5 hours ago, jeff prince said:

I wonder if Bluebeam ever did anything with their Project Atlas acquisition.  That software had so much interesting potential for navigating a site and its information.

If you go to https://atlas.bluebeam.com/, you can sign up for a beta account - looks a little premature right now, but it is a live website, and you can sign up and noodle around -

13 hours ago, Chad Hamilton HAArchs said:

If you go to https://atlas.bluebeam.com/, you can sign up for a beta account - looks a little premature right now, but it is a live website, and you can sign up and noodle around -

Not going to bother now that I see what they are up to.

The projects that would benefit most from this technology usually can’t have their data hosted on 3rd party servers 😞

• Like 1
16 hours ago, jeff prince said:

The projects that would benefit most from this technology usually can’t have their data hosted on 3rd party servers 😞

Well.... that depends a bit. If you are a multi-billion dollar company with a legal department to back you up I'm sure you can negotiate some requirements regarding security etc. to take a chance. I know of some very large corporations that have their e-mail system hosted by Microsoft cloud service etc. and that falls basically in the same category regarding data security. Often these companies can also negotiate an in-house cloud system to keep their data safe(r).

For us more modest people without those dollars and legal departments the chance of assuring similar data security is far less likely. This is one of the reasons why I am not so keen about 3rd party cloud only hosted services like this when it comes to confidential client data. (Meaning that in order for the software to work properly on documents the documents have to be hosted on the software provider's cloud servers)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Art V said:

Well.... that depends a bit. If you are a multi-billion dollar company

Then you probably have your IT department develop in-house non-cloud based solution 🙂

I’ve worked on several projects where we had to have servers and computers accessing those projects physically separated from the rest of the company and internet.  Makes for interesting situations with modern software.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jeff prince said:

Then you probably have your IT department develop in-house non-cloud based solution 🙂

I’ve worked on several projects where we had to have servers and computers accessing those projects physically separated from the rest of the company and internet.  Makes for interesting situations with modern software.

For internal only use they did develop in-house solutions, hosted on an internal network system which is similar to a cloud solution in a lot of ways.

For collaboration with 3rd parties (sometimes companies of similar size in case of joint ventures) it was basically necessary to use commercial software, sometimes mandated by their clients. Some software can be hosted on an in-house cloud and it is only a matter of exchanging data from one in-house cloud to another or if that was not feasible then they would negotiate a separate "common cloud" for just the participants that the software provider would set up on servers separate from their servers used for "ordinary clients" like us.

It is one of the reasons that companies like Autodesk are no longer interested in small(er) clients, they are not big enough to be able to afford the costs for their "solutions" that would generate the revenues and profits they are after. Large corporate clients are what they are looking for these days because once they are in they can have a long term relationship that will generate long term revenues.

• Like 1
On 4/29/2021 at 9:42 AM, rDesign said:

According to this Architosh article about Nemetschek Group’s 2020 Annual Report, Bluebeam will “begin its conversion to a cloud and data-centric offering (SaaS) in the second half of 2021”.

Got this info from Bluebeam support -

"We are working on our journey to cloud-based delivery solutions with Project Rover and Atlas, which are internal names. Our first cloud-based, mobile-first offerings are new capabilities for the following:
1. Workflow & Collaboration, purpose-built for Punch, RFI and Submittal Management.

2. Geo-locational insights for field workers and project managers.
We are working towards an initial release sometime in mid-H1 2021 and will continue to roll-out new platform capabilities and additional products and solutions over the coming quarters."

In other words, they are working to compete with Autodesk's field work programs, and not working on a cloud based mark up and collaboration program to replace the desktop based version that worked on the Mac - so nothing on the horizon.

Edited by Chad Hamilton HAArchs
  • Like 1
  • 6 months later...

I just wanted to update this thread for other macOS users using Bluebeam: It appears that the most recent version of Bluebeam Revu for Mac 2.1 no longer works under macOS 11 Big Sur and newer.

As Vw 2022 requires macOS 11 Big Sur or newer, I updated so that I can run Vw 2022, but now Bluebeam Revu for Mac crashes immediately after the start up splash screen. It really stinks, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised as this Bluebeam support page says that macOS 10.15 Catalina is the last version supported. I had hoped it would continue working since I checked that Bluebeam was 64-bit ready (which it is), prior to installing Big Sur; I should have taken them at their word when they said that it will not run on macOS 11 Big Sur.

I guess that the Vectorworks <-> Bluebeam integration announced several years ago won't extend to Vw 2022 and beyond until something changes.

UPDATE: While Bluebeam Revu for Mac 2.1 does not work on Big Sur, it seems that the old Revu version 1.93 does work on Big Sur. Go figure! 😥 

I'm sure there's lost functionality with the old version, but it's better than nothing.

Edited by rDesign