Symbol with door/window problem

Yovav

When I'm trying to create a symbol containing a door or window PIO I ran into some strange behavior of the object:

I create a window PIO, and change the attributes to my needs.

I choose the PIO and select the "create symbol" command.

If I'm using the default "plan projection center", everything is OK, but if I check the "next mouse click" option strange things start to happen.

After clicking the "OK" button, I click at the desired insert point (let's say the mid left point of the window jamb), the new symbol disappears, I select it form the object browser and insert the new symbol in a wall.

In plan view it looks good. In perspective or isometric view, with wire frame rendering, it looks good. But when switching to Open GL or RenderWorks rendering the strange stuff begins. The symbol is rendered at another position, in the wall. Half of it opens the wall as it should, but the other half is blocked by the wall.

Trying to bypass this problem by creating the symbol with "plan projection center" option checked, and after that editing the insertion point, gave the same results.

The really odd thing is that the problematic symbol is drawn correctly in plan, front, isometric wire frame views, corrupts when switching to render works or Open GL, and shown correctly again when switching back to wire frame or plan view.

I've tried that with several others PIO and symbols and all of those checks gave the same problematic results.

A bug? Me doing something wrong? Suggestions?

I'm using VWA 10.0.1 on XP system

ThanX Robert, but this is not what I want.

I'm used to insert my symbols when the insertion point is the outside of the jamb; it's easier to justify the symbols to other object, that way. I would like to keep this helpful habit, also in the plug-in inside symbol situation. is there any way to move the insertion point of both of them respectively?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

1. To insert a door or window right/center/left use the different options in the mode bar. See the online VectorWorks manual page 175.

2. To align or justify different parts of the symbols to other geometry, use the Smart Cursor. See the online VectorWorks manual page 139-144.