Moving lights defaulting to generics and losing orientation

There's a couple of things here.  Right now, based on what you are showing in VW, the devices aren't properly mapped.  Both the Send to Vision and Export- ESC or Export - MVR commands ignore the "Instrument Type" field in the Object Info Palette.  What the export is instead looking for is the "Fixture Mode" field in the OIP.  Since I don't see it in yours, you'll want to make sure that it is visible by going to Document Settings - Spotlight Settings, clicking on Lighting Devices-Parameters in the left list box, and making sure that Fixture Mode has "Show in Shape Pane" clicked on.

The Fixture Mode tells Vision what Vision profile to use for the device, and clicking on the drop-down should show the possible profiles.  If you are using a custom symbol (which it sounds like you are), this drop-down will likely show two options, "None" and "Other."  Clicking "Other" will launch a dialog box containing the full library of Vision fixtures sorted by manufacturer.  Select your desired profile here (in this case, Martin MAC Encore Performance CLD).

If you would prefer to use the GDTF format, you will instead need to go to the GDTF-Share page and download the GDTF file, import it in to your VW using Import - GDTF, then set it using the "GDTF Mode" field of the Object Info Palette.  Generally, I prefer to use the Vision symbol, resorting to the GDTF only if the Vision symbol doesn't exist and if I don't have enough time to wait for Vision to build one (there's a fixture request form on the Vision Service Select page.  They're generally pretty quick, taking about a week or so).

Now then, on to exporting.  I would advise against using the Send to Vision command, as I find it a little more useful to parse things out in the export to keep things organized in Vision (old habits, older versions had a bug where moving things around in the Scene Graph would crash Vision, so I would organize it using strategic exports).  The Send to Vision command will take everything visible and export it using the ESC format, which is mostly an outdated format at this point.  The preferred format is the MVR format, found under Export - MVR.  This corrects some of the geometric oddities on 3D objects caused by VW and corrects the normal mapping, making Vision rendering much more realistic.  It also allows for updating of the file later, as merging in an updated MVR file into your Vision file will only affect objects that have been changed since the last MVR file import.  It's a little clunky and not all together flawless, but it is a bit better than the old merging ESC file process.

There are a couple of bugs with the MVR export to keep an eye on.  Conventionals usually don't track their color across the export, so you'll likely have to re-drop color in Vision, which can be a drag.  I've also seen a couple of bugs where Lighting Position objects don't properly come over in the export, but I think they might have fixed that in the latest Service Pack.  I have also seen a bug where the entire file comes across in the MVR export regardless of whether it's visible or not in VW, so I've gotten into the habit of doing exports with "Selected Objects" instead.

I hope this was helpful.  Let me know if you have any questions.  I don't work for VW but have been using Vision regularly since Nemetschek acquired ESP Vision in 2017 and have found workarounds to a lot (but not all) of the bigger quirks.

• Like 2