Toslink connectors in ConnectCAD

DaveMvM

Are there any Toslink connectors in CannectCAD? I am trying to build a system schematic for an audio system with several consumer level devices.  I can not figure out how to do Toslink connections or bare speaker wire.  I am finding that the lack of support/tutorial videos on ConnectCAD is making it very hard to justify paying for it.  I'm trying to do something simple and it isn't working well for me.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@DaveMvM

Hi Dave

There are a godzillion connectors in the world! But you aren't stuck with the ones in the application - you can add your own. Here's how https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/68432-did-you-know/&do=findComment&comment=351755. Feel free to add the connectors and signals that you need. They are saved in the user folder so you can use them in future projects.

For bare wires we use - - > or < - -  i.e 2 hyphens and a greater than or a less than sign. Bare wires is not really a connector, its like "no connector". So even - - - i.e. 3 hyphens meaning unknown connector would probably give the installers the right idea.

Hear you about tutorials. May I use that as a quote? I am going to elevate this issue because I simply can't do it all.

Conrad

• Like 1

Thanks for the link.  I will try that out.

And yes, by all means use my statement about the lack of tutorials as much as you want.  I feel that Vectorworks is supported in many ways but I find it ridiculous that tutorials and even a manual of some sort is non-existent.  Is it really that hard to give customers some resources to learn how to use your products? Relying on out-dated info from previous versions is unacceptable.  I appreciate your help very much but posting a question here every time I run into an issue is not a good work flow.

One more issue here...when I try to modify the Connector types or Signal types text files I can not save it.  I get an error saying that "I do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to obtain permission."

My CAD machine is not controlled by anyone other than myself and I have full administrator permissions when I turn it on. I'm running Windows 10 Home.  Any ideas??

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Dave

All I can suggest is this. You are admin, so you can see who is the owner of the files and what permissions are set, and change them. I don't think this is a Vectorworks issue but you can contact Tech Support and they'll do their best to sort it out.

Thanks for the feedback.

Conrad

@DaveMvM Once you have got your file permissions sorted - I can recommend opening the TXT file in excel, and using it to sort (alphabetically) each connector type to your liking, then save back as a tab delimited file.

Note that the file structure includes signal type/header information and separator bars so that the drop downs are easy to read.

We have since saved our Excel and TXT file versions of the file (and the other txt files) in our workgroup folder [....\Workgroup\Plug-ins\connectCAD_Data] so everyone in the team has the same selection of options for consistency.

If anyone in our team wants to add more signal types, connector types etc they can edit the Excel version then save as a tab delimited file.

Use the "Refresh Signal and Connector Lists" button in ConnectCAD Settings to update ConnectCAD with any changes you have made.

Edited by Ross McLee