Clipping shape from site model

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has a routine for clipping out a shape (hole) from a site model. I don't mean using a site modifier to shape a lowered flat area, but as if cutting a hole directly from the site model which will remain empty.  

The purpose is to have a larger site model of the context, with a space for the site model of the project to fit into.

Is this possible?

• Like 1

The DTM changed a few versions ago.  I used to be able to Solid Subtract solid volumes from a DTM. Result was a Solid Subtraction, rather than a modified DTM.  Now it seems rather undoable.  Ungroup a DTM in mesh mode (result is several objects/ groups - surface mesh, hull, contours) and even the mesh seems unresponsive to solid sections or subtractions, conversion to NURBS surface, etc. ???

So, another option to the 2 halves suggested by @Tom W. .

I know, you didn't want to do this with a pad, but it works.:

Duplicate the large DTM to create one for project, other for surrounding context.

Crop one to the project boundary and isolate this to a separate layer or another file entirely for work on the project site.

Modify the context DTM with a pad in shape of the project boundary crop. Set the pad elevation at or below the bottom of the mesh skirt. Pad with Retaining edge does not clip as well as using a pad with custom grade limits, eg offset the Pad source by 1mm or less.  Update the DTM. Duplicate to another layer just in case. Ungroup the DTM, delete the skirt and contours.  This should leave a mesh surface surrounding your site.

May take some fiddling.

Reference this to your site.  Good luck.

-B

• Like 1

That should work.

I think I did it just by a Modifier with a Grade Limit, offset only a few centimetres.

The 2 DTMs won't interfere and no one will notice the sub terrestrial mess.

VW DTMs or any other TIN can't ever have any really vertical borders inside the

DTM, just for its borders outside. So you always have to give some minimal distance

in YX.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Benson Shaw said:

I know, you didn't want to do this with a pad, but it works.:

Yes, I just thought there was a way to subtract from that surface as you can in programs like Rhino. 

The two half method will be a way to do it....but it does seem simple to make the dtm with a pad. I was hoping to avoid a mess underneath the surface, in the case it was ever exported for IFC or something down the line.

Yes I was trying to do it without the mess under the surface. It was just an experiment really to see how I would backfill around an excavation for strip foundations so I was looking for something like this:

1711897488_Screenshot2021-04-23at21_53_03.thumb.png.a8982aa73818d4d3d61222d9d7a00117.png

Where the two halves joined it looked like this for some reason:

1902449039_Screenshot2021-04-23at21_53_18.thumb.png.5432555a5b23b1fbbaafc6d03d6ae3f8.png

Despite both sections being exactly the same size.

But I didn't worry too much because it wasn't noticeable in the wider context + I was only doing it for fun really.

1681089072_Screenshot2021-04-23at21_57_49.thumb.png.80dd10ec5335790fd6bd42f1b13678c6.png2039012324_Screenshot2021-04-23at21_58_00.thumb.png.bbdfdc730c5c3f83a4ddbcb294d9daac.png59930420_Screenshot2021-04-23at22_05_13.thumb.png.99360d04db7b7ddb483e712de1f09035.png

• Like 1

That's fantastic @jeff prince thanks as ever for sharing. I'll be checking my old Devo albums for more site modelling tips now 😁

I was worried when you said leave the original site boundary intact it wouldn't work if I clipped the boundary too but it does so that's really really cool. If I want to I can backfill around my building now with a single 'backfill DTM' rather than two joined together.

And if you ever get to sculpt 30' high Devo lyrics in someone's lawn for real be sure to let us know 😊

• Like 2