Window tool profusion/confusion

P Retondo

Is there a reason we now have so many window and door tools, with overlapping functions? I just upgraded from 9.5.2 to 10.0.1. I now have the following window tools: Simple Window 2, Complex Window, and Window. Window seems to be the same as Complex Window? I also have the following door tools: Simple Door 2, Door, Door and Sidelights, French Door 2, Sliding Glass Door 2, Overhead Door 2. What are all of these different options there for, and what does NNA recommend with regard to their use, particularly with regard to the use of Simple Window 2 vs. Complex Window 2 vs. Window, and Simple Door 2 vs. Door? It appears to me that these tools could be easily consolidated, and that the pull-down menu which allows you to choose between, say, "Swing Simple" and "Double Acting" could also allow you to choose "Overhead," for example. In other words, some of VW's famous simplification of the user interface would be in order!

By the way,I brought my old workspace into the new version - went through everything, deleted crossed-out tools, added new tools, etc. This process seemed to work well. When I upgraded my 9.5.2 file to v2 objects, all of my windows and doors were changed to "new" PIO versions. Without doing the upgrade of objects, I was unable to edit them in the info window. However, unfortunately, things are not going smoothly at all - see my topic on window tool corruption on this board.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The "Door" and "Window" plug-ins are the most current and supercede all the other various plugins. The other ones are provided for compatibility purposes only; that is why they are not installed in the workspace. The "Convert to v.X objects" commmand converts all the previous incarnations of door and window to the appropriate Door or Window configuration.

Hope this helps....