Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Lidar data for site design

Hello @Skia_D,

When you say you used the "drop-down menu", to which menu are you referring? Because the file contains Point Cloud data, you should be using File > Import > Import Point Cloud... . It's the last entry in the Import menu. If this menu is causing VW to crash it is probably due to an error in the file. The file size, 49 MB, shouldn't be causing the problem, and it appears you have plenty of RAM.

If you're still having trouble, send me a PM and I'll try to import the file for you. 

Raymond

Speaking of ladar scanning, I played around with my new iPhone 13 Pro to see what it could do. I realised that it could detect heights on a slope, so I made a test on a 35 meter long area basically for the most part covered by tarmac. I really expected the result to be a total mess and failure, but much to my surprise it came out better than expected. The screen dumps are from the phone directly, but I could export the model as OBJ into VW, where it looked the same. The slope looks right. I measured the height of the retaining walls and concluded that they where about 50 cm high in the model, which they are in the real world. Cars, bicycles and shrubs caused a bit of a mess, but then can easily be removed. You do get some steps here and there, but on the other hand you are looking at a 100 000 triangles, so an average should be fairly ok. You can also ignore and remove the stuff that looks wrong. The scan took say five or ten minutes. I used a program called Scaniverse, which was a free download on Appstore. The model is a mesh, so it should be processable with DTM, I think. The question now is, is this actually feasible to use in the real world ? After all, it's just a plain standard PHONE !!!!

IMG_6704.thumb.jpg.706ca9888cc5c3f452bc0eeee6e52e7a.jpgIMG_6705.thumb.jpg.2ad63422bda7b20688fb39df113401c9.jpgIMG_6706.thumb.jpg.3a4fc657052da9f7dea76ab080e48602.jpg