Sequence of adding terracing to a site model

Bunbun

I'm new to site modelling but have been able to create a site model and add site modifying pads and massing of buildings to test levels which is great.

I want to create 3 separate adjoining terraces within the model with retaining walls and steps between. At the moment I have a forest of "overlapping site modifier" warning triangles and the contours are doing weird things between. Is there a sequence to doing this - do I put in walls first and then pads for example, or the other way around? Haven't been able to find an answer to this on the films I've watched. Does anyone have a solid process for doing this?

Thanks in advance 🙂

@Bunbun how you proceed can sometimes benefit from having separate site models for different terraces when the shapes get crazy and the modifiers conflict too much. If the terraces are flat, I sometimes mimic the construction process and do my mass grading to cut out space to host my proposed elements.  Then I’m free to shape the features without messing with the site model grading.  Other times, the work depends on tight integration with the site surface.  In those cases, the multi-site model strategy can be a lifesaver.

Maybe post a sketch of what you are trying to do and people can provide some specific approaches.

here’s an example that illustrates the multi model concept which may be helpful.

Edited by jeff prince

Hi Jeff, this is really helpful, also the link, thank you. Hadn't thought of making separate models but will try this, it seems logical ( now you've told me about it)!

Attached is a screenshot of what I'm trying to do - house / terrace, retaining wall with returned steps, another terrace, then another below that. Also screenshot of the top view plan in case it's of interest to someone!

Thanks again for your help.

Screenshot 2021-04-26 at 14.54.07.png

Screenshot 2021-04-26 at 15.00.34.png

• Like 1