Editing existing site model contours

I have a model created from imported source data from a survey.  The area includes a stream for which the levels are only given in transverse sections at wide intervals. This means the model is not creating the stream correctly. I need to modify the existing site contours - but when i enter the model to edit the contour level text obliterates the contours below so I can't actually see the contours to select, even using the b key.  This text is locked in this editing mode and the levels are turned off in the site model settings.  Any way to turn off this information?  

I have also tried entering stakes with levels to modify the model to try and reset this but it doesn't seem to work.  The only other alternative I have is to manually enter extra stakes into the survey and re-create the model.  

any advice?

thanks

Helen

VW21 Landmark

Screenshot 2021-04-22 at 10.51.14.png

Screenshot 2021-04-22 at 11.00.58.png

There are 2 options.

Either the DTM is larger than you need and you can simply apply a crop

to not need to see the frayed edges.

Or it is smaller than the needed clipping, then I add some additional 3D Polys (*)

above and below the given data, to make the DTM look like I would expect

it to look.

(*)

I draw these inside my desired clipping in a way how it would be reasonable

by reacting to the given contours. And as much of them as needed to finally

fill my whole clip area.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1

@Helen Palmer I'm interested is the grey polygon showing through the Site Model the stream as you want to represent it? Because if this is a 3D Polygon + you assign it to the Site-DTM-Modifier class it will modify the site model. You will need to ensure it doesn't extend beyond the site model boundary but you could enlarge the site model first in the way @zoomer describes (then crop it again afterwards). Plus you will need to put a Grade Limits around it.

After doing this you can then create a new site model that incorporates the modifications to the terrain but doesn't contain any site modifiers that might clash with subsequent modifiers by:

Change to 'Top' view + change the 3D Style of the Site Model to '3D Contours'.

Ungroup the site model to convert the contours into 3D Polygons.

Select all the 3D Polygons + use them as the source data for creating a new site model.

• Like 1

Also, regarding the contour label text obscuring the other items - one can edit the text size of the labels.

Engage the Reshape tool in the Basic Tools palette.

Click the DTM. 

In the Reshape Tool mode bar, select the 2nd mode (Edit Site Model Label Position Mode).

Result is that a control handle displays for every label.

To resize the text, click the menu Text>Size and choose smaller size from the options.

Result is all the labels change font size to the new size (may take a few moments to process).

Secondary modes in the Reshape mode bar offer control for move/add/delete individual labels.

The contour text label size can be resized (larger again?) as desired.

Note: unlike many other vwx objects, dbl click the DTM does not activate the Reshape tool (and attendant options for labels).  Instead, engage Reshape, then click the DTM.  Or, alt,  select the DTM with single click of Select tool, then engage the Reshape tool.

HTH

-B

image.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
Upload
  • Like 3
19 hours ago, Helen Palmer said:

I need to modify the existing site contours - but when i enter the model to edit the contour level text obliterates the contours below so I can't actually see the contours to select

In the contour edit mode you have no control over the text but if you reduce the text size in the site model first as @Benson Shaw says then edit the site model contours you can in this way reduce the size of labels to allow you to see the contours. If you reduce the text size enough the labels will disappear completely

• Like 1