Drawing summary for checking

Hi All,

Perhaps an obvious question, or may be not.. but is there an easy way to summarise and view all the objects in my drawing so that I can make sure everything is in the correct class or on the right layer.

As a VW newbie I have found myself drawing objects onto the wrong active design layer or creating objects in the wrong class. Sometimes I spot it at the time, or make a note to myself to correct it later. I know. Discipline!

Some examples:

• Walls and doors should be in walls and doors classes (and only on certain layers)
  • Televisions should be in an AV-TVs class and on the AV-Equipment
  • Loudspeakers should be in the AV-Loudspeakers class on the AV-Equipment layer
  • I only expect polylines in my audio zoning layers

I was wondering if there was some means of checking things over via a worksheet for example and possibly correcting them from the worksheet too, perhaps. Spotting the things that are clearly out of place?

TIA

Ross.

46 minutes ago, Ross McLee said:

As a VW newbie I have found myself drawing objects onto the wrong active design layer or creating objects in the wrong class. Sometimes I spot it at the time, or make a note to myself to correct it later. I know. Discipline!

This happens even if you have been using VW for a while 🙂. I've found that ensuring that objects get placed on the correct design layer and class upon insertion is honestly the best way to combat this. Yep, the discipline! There are multiple ways of doing this, of course, and it may look slightly different for each object. PIOs such as Walls, Doors, TVs, Speakers, etc all have insertion options so that you can choose the class the object will be on before it is inserted into the drawing; symbols have an insertion class within their definition; etc.

Setting your layer settings to "Grey/Snap Others" may help with ensuring you are on the correct design layer when adding objects by creating a visual difference between objects on your active layer and all the other layers.

Checking the design layer and class of objects can be time consuming, especially if your methodology is to manually check each object. The design layer and class of an object can be displayed in worksheet columns by using function criteria, but the trick is how you gather the objects for the worksheet. Using "All Objects" will generate a HUGE report and a single object (such as a door) can create 10 or more lines within this worksheet. Creating a report for different types of objects (a door report, wall report, TV report, etc.) may be an option. In this way, you would be able to see the DL and class of each object. However, I don't believe you can change the DL or class field of the worksheet, so you can't make corrections within the worksheet itself. Of course, you could right click on the row header and go to the object and change it without too much effort.

1044209531_DLandClassWorksheetExample.thumb.png.7ef5d19fd0aa1bf62472924af7e8ea0d.png

A different workflow that may be helpful (or interesting, I haven't tried it, just thought of it now) in correcting object DL and class assignment after insertion would be to use Data Visualization. You could assign an outline/fill/etc to each DL or class, turn on the data visualization, and correct any missing assignments. When finished, you could toggle the data visualization off, and continue on...

Of course, there are scripting options as well, but I know how you'd feel about that @Ross McLee  😋

• Like 1

Incorrectly classed objects are the difficult ones as objects on the the wrong layer usually come out in the wash.

Worksheet could be the way to go. Perhaps do all objects on one layer at a time?

Another semi manual option if you don’t have too many classes is, layer by layer:

Purge all unused classes and empty design layers

select all objects in a certain class (magic wand tool),

group them,

go into the group with “see objects outside the group” (or whatever it is called) switched off. Hopefully you can quickly see if all the objects in the group are in the correct class.

Reclass objects as required.

Exit group and ungroup.

Do next class.

Move to next layer and repeat.

The problem with this approach it doesn’t address objects that are already in groups or in symbols.

For groups you may have to ungroup them all.

For symbols, if you don’t have too many, you could purge unused symbols then just go through the RM checking each one. Perhaps check their insertion class settings while you are at it.

Hope that helps.