ConnectCAD Device Text Size Issues

stancilent

Question

Hey guys,

Having an issue where devices I've placed in ConnectCAD are all of the sudden much larger than devices that I've placed in the past. You can see in the photo that the device on the left has a nice text size, and the device on the right has text that is so big that you can't read anything. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change the size of everything. Page scaling is still 1:1 like it was before, and no other settings have changed to my knowledge.

How do you change the size of the device and the text inside of it?

175495332_1262565004138443_6532002157596182546_n.jpeg

14 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
9 minutes ago, stancilent said:

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov Thanks for your help!

I am running version 2021 SP2.1 Build 580007.

I turned off all snapping and the issue persisted. No help there. Is that what you're referring to with the snap grid size?

Thanks!

- Double click the snap to grid in the snapping palette and you should see this dialog open:

image.png

The snap grid size in the image above is set to 10. For connectCAD schematic drawings on 1:1 layer scale it is recommended to use snap grid set to 4mm.

Let me know if this fixes the issue. If not, could you send me a test file?

18 minutes ago, stancilent said:

Is there a way to change the spacing of the circuits inside the device to match the other devices by default? They are spaced pretty close together.

If you have created your device using the device builder, recreating it with this snap grid setting should produce the same spacing between the sockets in the devices. If this is not the case, you can easily double click on your device and from there move the sockets so that they are spaced the way you want them to. Using Align/Distribute menu command could be helpful in the second approach.

Let me know if you need any other information. 🙂

2 minutes ago, stancilent said:

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov Yea I did recreate the device with these settings and it was still really close in the spacing.

I know I can edit the device to change the spacing, but I don't want to have to do this for every device I create now. How do I setup a spacing default?

Thanks!

How did you create the device with the correct spacing? As of VW 2021, the spacing could be modified only by changing the snap grid, but as you have already noticed this changes the device size too. There are improvements to this workflow coming up in future versions.

What you can do for now if you have multiple devices with the same graphics is that you can save them as symbols once you have adjusted their socket spacing and then use the symbol to insert correctly spaced devices right away. Another way is to duplicate the existing devices, so that you keep the spacing. This will not help if you create a brand new device though.

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov Yeah see how your software is doing it is exactly how it looked before and how I want it to look. Here is my snap grid settings:

When I type in 4mm, it defaults to inches so I'm assuming that's correct.

Also, now the text on the circuits is much smaller than before. I'm not really sure why all of these settings are different.

Thanks again!

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 1.37.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 1.36.38 AM.png

1 minute ago, stancilent said:

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov Yeah see how your software is doing it is exactly how it looked before and how I want it to look. Here is my snap grid settings:

When I type in 4mm, it defaults to inches so I'm assuming that's correct.

Also, now the text on the circuits is much smaller than before. I'm not really sure why all of these settings are different.

Thanks again!

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 1.37.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 1.36.38 AM.png

The issue might be coming from your symbols that were created at a bigger snap grid. Can you send me a sample test file so that I can check if this is the case or not? That way we will save each other some more questions and answers here in the forum. If you do not want to share the file in here, you can send it to me via PM, so that it is kept confidential.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Michael M said:

If the symbols were created at a different grid setting eg 100x100 is there a workflow to change everything, including the text sizes to bring it all to the correct scale? 

- You can try the following

- Make a backup copy of your file

- Delete the inner symbols for devices and sockets entirely from the resource manager - this will make all your devices and sockets look blank.

- Then reset all plugins which should reimport the symbols at the correct size

- If something looks broken, you can go back to the backup copy of the file

• Like 1