zNested Hatches Folder?

What's up with all the "zNested" folders.

I have zNested Hatches,  zNested Textures,  zNested Gradients.

And then I have all kinds of hatches, textures and gradients that are not in a folder.

• What's the difference?
  • Can I put all my hatches in a folder to help clean up my Resource Manager?
  • Will VW find these or will it just create duplicates and put them in the top level anyway?

Trying to clean up a new template file I created and realized I'm not sure how VW accesses textures etc.

I just found that the new - completely empty -template file was 238MB!!

Any one with a link to an in-depth explanation  please let me know.

The Help pages are less than helpful - "znested" and even "nested hatches" result in 'no results found'.

...VW seems like such a black box so often.

I believe VW puts the individual resources that go to make up the main resource you are importing into 'zNested' folders just to keep things neat + tidy + to distinguish one from the other. So if a symbol in the libraries uses textures, hatches, etc these will be imported along with the symbol + be contained within the 'zNested Textures' + 'zNested Hatches' folders. Then when you import more resources their 'sub-resources' will also go into these folders.

You can do the same thing with your own resources by creating Resource Folders in the Resource Manager otherwise it becomes very messy very quickly. You can have loads of folders inside each other. Then when you import these resources into new documents you can choose whether to 'preserve folder hierarchy', which will import all the folders above the resource in question, or 'select destination folder' which will import the resource itself plus any associated sub-folders + put it in the location of your choice in the new document.

• Like 1

@Tom W. 

So VW will find the resource even if it's in a resource folder in a resource folder and not duplicate? Good to know.

I've been trying to keep things structured... all my perennials are in the " PLNT-perennial" resource folder and my succulent are in 'PLNT-Succulents' in my library/favorite files and I chose to  'preserve folder hierarchy' when I first import them.

Coming to VW from Maya I do miss the 'organization and hierarchies' that made everything so easy to find.

Learning way to keep everything under control is very helpful.

Thanks!

• 6 months later...