Vw verses Sw

Hi all

Could you guys give me some insight what advantages Vectorworks might have over Solidworks?

I have been using Sw since 98 and am considering changing to Vw because of the speed that it apparently has. Sw is unlimited but does not have the speed in assemblies that Vw apparently has.We do millwork and interior cad looks like the cat's meow.

Thanks

Pat

Pat

I myself find VW and InteriorCad to be fast and efficient for millwork and Cabinetry.

Speed an accuracy saves money, not only for you but also your client. Call me lazy but I prefer

1 click opposed to many.

Sw is unlimited but bulky

(still a fine software though).

Go with your gut-------- [Wink]

MKM

VW user since 8.5

Hi Mkm

Thanks for the reply. The reason this came up is there is an architect on the Sw newsgroup who has been using Vw for a while and wants to switch to Sw. He said that Vw was not accurate,intelligent or parametric. This suprised me.Anyway I was trying to gain an understanding of what he was refering to and if this is important to me or not.

Thanks

Pat

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It's not an unusual situation for a disgrunted user to "badmouth" a software product on a competitor's listserv. (For example, just look at what VW users say about AutoCad on our listserv!) As to the lister's complaints:

1. VW is not accurate: This is untrue. Versions of VW prior to VW 9.0 used a long-integer based coordinate system. Since that version we have used a double-precision floating point coordinate system and we will put our accuracy up against anyone.

2. VW is not "intelligent". I'm afraid this criticism is really too vague and undefined to comment upon. VW is a highly-customizable, object-oriented CAD system that provides extensive 2D and 3D capablities and I would have to argue that it is, in fact, "intelligent". However, I am biased and, as I say, "intelligent" means exactly what I want it to mean.

3. VW is not "parametric". VectorWorks support 2D parametric constraints but not 3D parametric constraints. It's worth noting that 3D parametric constraint is one of SolidWorks' strong features.

Sounds to me like the disgruntled user was using a quite old version of VectorWorks.

Robert

He was using Vw version 8.He was not slamming Vw just pointing out what he thought were it's limitations. He also said that version 10 looked "amazing".

Re the parametrics that is a double edged sword. It is great for linking the parts to the assembly and then being able to change a governing sketch or part and have all the constrained parts change. But this is also time consuming and not so great when you are building a one off or a short run because speed becomes more important than parametrics.

Anyway, Thanks that helped me to understand Vw a little better.

Pat