VWA10 Questions & Concerns

A. Does anyone use the VW setup? I am trying it for the second time and I find it rather ambiguous. Some questions I have are as follows:

1. How does one get one's own information into the title block? I know you go to the data info. under Object Info., but how about one's logo, stamp, etc.? Also, how do you get info. that needs to be on each title block to be carried over to each sheet? Seems to me that you have to add new info., i.e., similar info. on each sheet.

2. Wasn't there a sheet that would automatically set up exterior elevations in VW9? I know there was, since I used it one time. Now there doesn't seem to be any sheet like that when one uses the setup. Where did it go-is it there or is it now history?

3. Right now there doesn't appear to be any compelling reason to use the setup default. I know there are some revision coordination reasons, but that seems minor compared to the multitude of layers and sheets, plus all their strange names. Anyone have any good reasons to use the setup?

B. The new Resource Browser seems to me like combining a TV and a VCR into one package unit. If one goes bad, you are out of luck. That is why I never buy combined electronics!

1. I've got the textures loaded into my object info. (with great time consuming pain & effort). I know this is a bug, but it is still is a pain. Also, why isn't the resource browser list alphabetical like it used to be. That needs to be corrected.

C. Nemetschek Technical Assistance: The last two days, I've called at 5 pm, been put on hold for an half hour and then been disconnected at 5:30 pm. I've left two messages and so far neither one has been returned. I just paid $700 for the Industry Collection and I find this lack of Customer Service inexcusable. Is anyone else having similar problems-we should let Nemetschek know this needs to be corrected. Most of the time they are very helpful-maybe since it is Thanksgiving week they are all on vacation!

Sam Combs, AIA, NCARB, Architect

Combs & Combs, AIA

7480 Upper O'Malley Road

Anchorage, Alaska 99507-6207

Phone: 907-346-3990

Fax: 907-346-3990C*C

Cell: 907-250-4207

Email: samcombs@gci.net

Web Site: http://home.gci.net/~combs

A. I use setup assitance all the time w/some modifications. I don't like to way the standard titleblock look, so I insert my own onto a new layer called "0-TBLK". I have some scripts that change the issue dates, and a script that places the file name next to the titleblock when printing.

1. I do know that you can add your own info/logo to one of the titleblocks by saving one as and inserting your info. You are not supposed to change any of the text blocks because it will cause issue manager problems.

2. The elevation sheet still does its thing, but its simply layer links of the model grouped on the elevation sheet. I usually modify that to draw real elevations (taken from the model).

3. I don't mind using setup assistant, and i've gotten used to the funny layer names. Its a quick way to create a file with layers, correct floor heights, and claas names. I do change the names of the sheets under the save sheet command- It's quicker for me to see the sheet numbers there. I have noticed (using OSX, Powerbook G4, VW 9.5) that if you want to add a sheet to a pre-existing file using setup assistant, that VW will quit.

B. I have not upgraded to VW10 yet, so I can't offer any comments...

Using the VWA10 Set Up creates so many layers and classes, with confusing names (and more stuff for each level), that it takes a while to adapt the VW way. The class structure we had previously established with 9.5 is almost unusable with 10.....and just wait to you export to .dwg, coverting all those layers and classes into layers, and now your consulant has to figure it out.....

The VW idea of the "matrix" of layers and classes, supposedly making things easier (versus having everything on one system; i.e., layers), doesn't work well, and the management effort for sheets/layers/classes exceeds our desire to make drawings.

We're slowly implementing VWA10, but not the setup assitant.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Sam, I'll attempt to respond to some of your points:

A1. HOW DOES ONE GET ONE'S OWN INFORMATION INTO THE TITLE BLOCK? You modify the symbols in the file Plug-ins\Common\Data\00_Arch_Sheets.MCD to make them look like your firm's title blocks. Take a look at page 306 in the VectorWorks Architect on-line user guide (Advanced Topics - "Creating Custom Sheets")

A2. WASN'T THERE A SHEET THAT WOULD AUTOMATICALLY SET UP EXTERIOR ELEVATIONS IN VW9? This is done (more flexibly) now using the Model View tool. Take a look at page 34 in the VectorWorks Architect on-line user guide (Setup Commands - "Creating a Model View")

A3. ANYONE HAVE ANY GOOD REASONS TO USE THE SETUP?

Prior to VectorWorks Architect 10, setup was a large, monolithic process and was "all or nothing". In VWA 10, we "modularized" the setup into two major functionalities: MODEL SETUP, which is a user-friendly command that sets up the 3D arrangement of your model layers and can be used whether you use the VWA naming conventions or not, and CREATE SHEET, which sets up and creates the layers/classes used in sheets. This second command is significantly supplemented by a new capability: CUSTOM NAMING STANDARDS, which allows you to "swap" between alternate naming standards. Imagine you have a consultant who uses AIA standard names but you use VWA names for layers and classes. This lets you change a document from one entire naming convention to another in a single menu command, and comes with VWA and AIA naming sets pre-loaded. You can also change between either VWA or AIA and your own naming standard.

I Hope this info is helpful.