Spaces and Data Visualization

JennaFoxley

Question

A Colleague previously used the space tool to create spaces for all the unit areas on a retail plan so we could pull out the different areas etc. We also use it alongside data visualization so we can visually see on a plan what retail units have a projecting sign etc. I'm trying to add a unit by drawing over it with the space tool and i have used the same style as the other units but when i add my data visualization it doesn't fill it with a colour. I have made sure there is a fill colour in the attributes tab when i draw the space and the settings look the same as the other units so i can't figure out why the data visualization isn't picking up this particular space. 

13 answers to this question

Yes sorry, Ive attached some screenshots for more context.

The unit i'm trying to add in is the 'R22' unit circled in red. I've drawn over it with the space tool and used the same style as the other units but for some reason the data visualization won't colour it in and it just stays in the fill colour it was given when drawn (See attributes tab). For that particular unit i've said it has a aluminium shopfront (In the assigned zones) so with the data visualization it should be showing the lime green colour the same as units 95/96/98 etc.

Has anyone got any thoughts on why it's not picking it up? The settings all look the same so i'm stuck.

Screenshot 2021-04-20 at 12.35.26.png

Screenshot 2021-04-20 at 12.36.15.png

Screenshot 2021-04-20 at 12.37.31.png

I think the 'Assigned Zone 3' value specified in the Data Vis settings means that it looks for the data contained in the third assigned zone in the 'Assigned Zones' list in the Space Settings. So if you expanded that dialog box so you can see the whole of the 'Assign Zones' pane you need to see two additional ticks above the one we can see. The first tick will be Assigned Zone 1, the second Assigned Zone 2 + the one you're concerned with - '[Shopfront Types]-Aluminium Frame' - needs to be Assigned Zone 3 in order to be picked up by the data visualization.

So in order to have data visualization colour all the units in they have to have the same amount of zones ticked. This doesn't really work when i tick the assigned zones for which units have a mezzanine floor because then they have one extra zone ticked and won't appear in the same list. Do you think it would be better to call off the shopfront types etc in additional data rather than zones?

You will need to assign the mezzanine zone to all the spaces (by style) then if this means shopfronts is pushed down the list to become Assigned Zone 4 just edit the data visualisation accordingly so it picks up zone 4 instead of zone 3

You can assign up to 5 zones to a space it says in help.

@Tom W. Is there a way to use the Zone Name instead of the Assigned Zone? I think that is what Jenna really wants to do. Just color everything that is in a Zone named New Shopfront - A.

OK. After playing with it a bit more I see it better. You can have different types of Zones (Security, HVAC, Signage, Shopfront Type, etc.) but you can only have one out of each type selected. So the idea behind using Assigned Zone 3 is that it would be the third assigned zone for that object. Which is fine if every object has one of each type of zone assigned, but messes up badly when some spaces don't need to be assigned to each Zone Type.

I still suggest that that it would be better to be able to do visualization by Zone Name and Zone Type Name.

Do you need an VWEnhancement Request filed on this?

I assumed that in this case, if all the other Spaces have three (or more) zones assigned to them, the chances are it will be useful to follow that protocol with the new Space as presumably there will be 'Assign Zone 1' + 'Assigned Zone 2' visualisations as well that this new Space would benefit from being included in.

But yes does seem to lend the system a degree of inflexibility + I'm sure it would be beneficial to vary the amount of zones assigned across Spaces. Can't talk from experience as I've never worked with zones before, I was just interested in why it wasn't working for Jenna...