Saved Views to include snap settings

Ross McLee

Question

Hi all,

I am getting used to using save views and love them!

On a similar thread to a feature request I put in a while back regarding viewport layer visibility in saved views....

Are there any plans to include snap settings as one of the elements that is saved within in a saved view?

For example, jumping between a layout view and ConnectCAD schematic can be a bit cumbersome having to switch from grid snap only on and most, if not all others on each time.

There have been a few occasions where a non-grid snap has caused problems in schematic view - but thank goodness for snap to grid tool to bring it back in line (ctrl+ - )

Cheers,

R

4 answers to this question

This is more of a "did you know...." than anything else although, I think there could be a few more saveable options with saved views.....

Did you know that you can save your snap settings using the Custom Tools  command in the Tools menu? There is an option to save your current snap settings. These will be generated as a script that you can then recall at any time using a script palette.

This is a fantastically useful function that has been around for a good while now.

As a side thought, perhaps a Saved View could run a script from the Resource Manager instead? Essentially that is what they are anyway. Although I can see a few pitfalls with that approach which might make it a nightmare to implement.

Thanks for this @markdd

As a new user I am finding this forum very helpful. And I am getting to grips with some of the basics.

I will explore the custom tools stuff shortly.

My biggest frustration with VW so far however, is the expected level of user customisation (and with it, a strong understanding of scripting) to accomplish relatively simple tasks which would (should) otherwise be simple features of an amazing core product.

I just want to draw, quickly and efficiently. I don't want to become an expert programmer or the IT/CAD platform manager for my office.

I'll be listening intently during the Open Day to see where VW is heading over the next few years!

Thanks again,

R

Hi

This does not involve you writing a script. The command will make one for you. The script that is created can be assigned to a small script palette which you can have as part of the workspace. You can also run the script from the resource manager and use it in every file you create.

One of the attractions of Vectorworks to many users is the ability to customise not just the workspace and tools, but also the drawing output. When any customisation is removed, there is always an outcry from the more experienced user-base. It must be a real challenge for the program's designers and engineers to find a middle path through all of this without alienating both sides. Veering into the realms of politics now!

• Laugh 1

Ah ha !

I have found what you are talking about @markdd.

When editing my "Schematics" Saved view I have added the custom tool (ctrl+3) option when editing the script.

It has added a snapshot of my current smart cursor settings, and pasted them in the scripting window. It confused me some time back when editing the script that it was empty to start with.

And now works a treat !

I have no idea what the script means - but does what I need for now. I would like to switch snap to grid OFF specifically for other design views, but I'll work that bit out later.

Grateful for your guidance.

R