Elevations - Standard Viewport in Elevation view or Section Viewport?

Can anyone give me a run down of the pros and cons of using standard viewports for elevation views (set to Front, Back, Left, or Right) or just using a Section Viewport?

What is the difference?

Thanks.

Edited by Boh

It would never occur to me to use a regular viewport.

A section viewport give you more granular control of the how much of the elevation gets included. Automatic drawing coordination is easier since you can control which viewports get referenced.  I think there are better lineweight options. And control over smoothing tolerances for curved surfaces. Thats all i can think of without looking at VW.

Thanks @cberg

Overall I think Section viewports are more sophisticated however for exterior elevations they are only used for "objects beyond the cut plane" and I think standard viewports might have the edge on object attributes.

I hadn't used standard viewports for elevations before but I had an issue with door and window ID labels not displaying correctly in a section VP so I changed to a standard viewport and the labels all show properly. For my current project at least I don't see any particular advantage for Section viewports for elevations so wondering if I am missing something.

Thanks

Section viewports permit layering of elevations. You can cut off the foreground so distant aspects can be illustrated with lighter weights and colours while the foreground is in another viewport on top of the background one. The foreground can then have normal line weights and dense colours to draw one's attention while retaining the context of the overall project. If you want to elevate a wall and not have a colonnade obstruct window placement or other details.

I use it most where there are railings or mesh panels involved. Picketed railings on the far side of a ramp tend to clutter up any view that is not isometric. And ISO views do not produce true dimensions in viewport annotation space.

• Like 1