PLANT LIST SORTING

Marietta

I added a new category to my plant list for perennials and for annuals. The plant list shows every instance of these plants instead of adding them up and listing them once. Also, they are not sorted alphabetically. I highlighted the database header and selected the sum and sort buttons on top. I get a message that it cannot sort or sum beyond a certain column number. This message didn't come up again and the plants are not sorted or summed. What can I do?

Robert

I started off with the simple plant list (columns for code, quantity, botanical and common names, schedule, remarks). I then categorized the plants in the rows according to their designation in the plant resource data (trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals-biennials, etc.). I would edit the criteria in the data base headers so that only the trees would show up in the first section of rows, shrubs in the next, etc. The plants in each section would come in alphabetical order within that section.

My plant list would have one row which I labelled 'TREES'. The next row would be the edited database header so that only the trees would show up. The next row would be labelled 'SHRUBS', then the database header for shrubs, etc. This has worked fine until I tried to add more sections for perennials and for annuals-biennials.

Marietta

I have just completed a fairly extensive scheme for a park and found that it proved useful to assign seperate classes for each group of plants. I also subdivided the worksheet for each class (or categfory). In this way I am able to call out reports for each group and assign ID refs that would assist VS in sorting the list.

I hope this is useful.

Aqueous

Do you mean that you would assign classes such as trees, shrubs, perennials, etc. to the plants and that they would show up in that order in your plant list? Do you use the simple plant list and add more choices to the database header and add that class?

Mohit

I modified the simple plant list. Click on 'database headers' in the arrow pull down tab. Add an extra row above the first calculated rows (you can see these by the diamond infront of the row number). Type in 'Trees' or whatever your plant category is in this row. Then highlight the next row with the diamond shape, and right click on the row number, select 'edit criteria'. You will see row with 'record', 'plant record' is 'present' Click on more choices button and select 'field value' 'plant category' '=' 'trees' or whatever your category is. Now only the trees would be shown in the rows below. Add 2 rows below for the next category. Copy the database header info and change the category to the next category.

I had problems with this way when I added more categories (3&4 categories), so I don't know if this is a limit - that was my original question. Maybe Aqueous's way works better with classes.

1. how do i sort the plants in the work sheet to have all the plants of the same category listed at the same place?

2. how do i create the report to show the same plant specie with 2 or 3 different sizes and spacing to show up in different rows on the work sheet?

• 2 months later...

We have developed a plant list that sorts plants into their categories. Unfortunately it commonly misplaces plants (a tree listed as a perennial, etc). not sure why this happens because each time i go and double check the setting in the plant database it is properly categorized. If I 'ok' my way out (essentially recreating the plant definition) this usually fixes the issue.

Artemis

How did you develope the plant list?

I have gotten that problem before that the tree is listed as a Zinnia (it seems the plant data base likes zinnias). This happens when I edit a plant through the 'Edit Plant Catalogue' instead of the plant reference. I have to edit the plant again to get it right. It is best to edit the reference data itself then use it in your drawings. Hope this helps.