Is the 'Nomad' app still alive and does anyone use it?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, Christiaan said:

At the moment I think we rely on the active view in the file, right?

You are referring to the ability to define the initial view upon loading in the viewer, right? 

The old web view export was using the current position of the camera upon export for the initial view, but that hasn't been re-implemented for the new export and viewer. This is one of those things that we will work on for subsequent releases. I think there may be different ways to go about this. This might get connected to the wish for saved views, as the initial view is a flavor of a saved view the way I see it.

Yep, I already have your other wishes on our list.

Thanks!

Iskra Nikolova

• Like 1
15 hours ago, inikolova said:

You are referring to the ability to define the initial view upon loading in the viewer, right? 

I was mostly referring to active Class and Layer settings.

At the moment we have to save the file in the state of active Class and Layer settings that we want visible in the generated 3D model, right? It would be nice to break this dependency, so that the file can be saved in any state and we can use a Saved View to control model visibilities instead.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Christiaan said:

I was mostly referring to active Class and Layer settings.

At the moment we have to save the file in the state of active Class and Layer settings that we want visible in the generated 3D model, right? It would be nice to break this dependency, so that the file can be saved in any state and we can use a Saved View to control model visibilities instead.

A temporary copy of the file is automatically saved if you are using the Export VGX command, so you could invoke a saved view, export, give the exported VGX file name some clue about the view it's in, choose another saved view, export VGX again, name the VGX with the saved view.  You don't have to save the VWX file again and again yourself that is automatic with the export VGX command.  Maybe that helps some steps.

1 hour ago, Dave Donley said:

A temporary copy of the file is automatically saved if you are using the Export VGX command, so you could invoke a saved view, export, give the exported VGX file name some clue about the view it's in, choose another saved view, export VGX again, name the VGX with the saved view.  You don't have to save the VWX file again and again yourself that is automatic with the export VGX command.  Maybe that helps some steps.

Sure, if you're working in Vectorworks. But what if you're in Nomad or the web portal—perhaps even out on site away from your computer—and you want to generate a 3D model, but somebody has saved the file with unsuitable layer and class settings?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

Sure, if you're working in Vectorworks. But what if you're in Nomad or the web portal—perhaps even out on site away from your computer—and you want to generate a 3D model, but somebody has saved the file with unsuitable layer and class settings?

Yes this can happen, we have noticed cases where export fails on the cloud when the file is saved in a view where there is no 3D geometry to export.

A more full featured export would be more like Publish, where there is a lot more control.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

Do you mean you to say that you're considering the inclusion of a Publish command in Nomad?

No not necessarily, but to improve over a piecemeal WYSIWYG workflow for you, something that lists all the views and lets you pick what to produce would be an obvious functionality, whether it is publish or just similar to publish.  Somewhere you want to see a listing of what the VWX has in it and pick what you want to produce.  The new generate 3D model/export VGX shows an options dialog, this could be elaborated further (maybe).  Cloud Presentations let you stitch together 2D and 3D information but this is also a scrapbooking-like exercise that could use more automation, like what Publish does.

2 minutes ago, Dave Donley said:

No not necessarily, but to improve over a piecemeal WYSIWYG workflow for you, something that lists all the views and lets you pick what to produce would be an obvious functionality, whether it is publish or just similar to publish.  Somewhere you want to see a listing of what the VWX has in it and pick what you want to produce.  The new generate 3D model/export VGX shows an options dialog, this could be elaborated further (maybe).  Cloud Presentations let you stitch together 2D and 3D information but this is also a scrapbooking-like exercise that could use more automation, like what Publish does.

Syncing Saved Views between Vectorworks and Nomad seems like low hanging fruit for this kind of thing. Is that not such an easy task?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Christiaan said:

Syncing Saved Views between Vectorworks and Nomad seems like low-hanging fruit for this kind of thing. Is that not such an easy task?

Thank you for the continued discussion on saved views and the different cases where they may be useful. As far as I know from speaking to the developers, dealing with saved views and their class/layer visibilities, is not trivial. That is the reason why they were not included in the initial release. We will be having team discussions, considering your input, and we will see what's feasible for the short-term, and what would be more of a long-term goal. 

• Like 2
On 3/16/2022 at 3:09 PM, zoomer said:

Panorama Demo (was upside down for me)

Panoramas have a fixed orientation due to numerous technical issues associated with handling device orientation changes. Try rotating your device to display the panorama in the correct orientation.

On 3/16/2022 at 3:09 PM, zoomer said:

it would be nice to run Nomad also on the Desktop, when no iPad available.

If VW allows Nomad Desktop usage, I could control or test what I want

to publish - before I give it away .....

We have plans to have Unity-based desktop 3D model viewer that you can use to view .vgx file on the desktop. I think this will satisfy your need.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, inikolova said:

Try rotating your device to display the panorama in the correct orientation.

I thought it is because I usually have rotation lock on.

Yes, I finally rotated the iPad 180°.

But I was wondering a bit why I could not rotate the model on screen.

Usually when you reach the "north or south pole" of a Panorama (or standard view ?),

it will stop, but you only need to slightly rotate around the pole to re-rotate for Z

about X or Y axis. That did not work at all in this case.

34 minutes ago, zoomer said:

But I was wondering a bit why I could not rotate the model on screen.

Usually when you reach the "north or south pole" of a Panorama (or standard view ?),

it will stop, but you only need to slightly rotate around the pole to re-rotate for Z

about X or Y axis. That did not work at all in this case.

I am not sure I understand the problem. Are you saying you tried to adjust the view while you were upside down, and that did not work? I think that is expected as the current restriction is that you can only view the panorama in a landscape orientation (rotated to the right).

Yes, when you reach the North and South poles, the motion and orientation sensors stop there to prevent you from rolling over. You could drag the image to adjust the view up and down relative to the position of the device. 

Does this help?

• Like 1

I think I get it.

It doesn't make sense to allow the user to manually rotate

the panorama untill rolling over.

I just wondered why Nomad started the panorama top down.

Maybe I over tilted the iPad at that time and rotation lock

prevented from correcting.

Have to play with it.

Adding to the Nomad wishlist:

1.  Better UI for Settings sliders (e.g. Ambient brightness).  They are too short/sensitive, making it hard to fine tune the settings.  They are also too small and are completely covered by your finger, forcing the use of an Apple Pencil.  Option for typing in percentage would help.

2. Don't apply dark overlay on entire screen for setting slide out.  You can't actually see the live view of the changes.  Dark overlay is only needed behind the setting controls.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Christiaan said:

2. Don't apply dark overlay on entire screen for setting slide out.  

This was a known problem before the release and we already have a partial solution for it. For the next release, the panel will hide when you start moving the slider. For a final solution, we are planning to have all the panels be adjustable size.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

I have inherited an iPad + am using Nomad for the first time: I really like it!

One thing: it would be good to be able to change the background + not always have the green ground/blue sky thing going on i.e. when you change to orthogonal projection to just have a plain light blue background like you do with VW. I couldn't see any options for this...?