Sharing / not sharing symbols/ resources

Bunbun

I have created a library of symbols/ resources of my own. As I'm self employed / freelance, I have to share drawings but don't really want to share my symbols with everyone else. Is there a way to share drawings but not give access to the symbols? I don't know if this can be done but thought I'd ask in case someone knows the answer or has a similar experience!

If they are Hybrid (2D/3D) there is not good way to not share the symbols other than by contract/trust.

Otherwise you will need to make a copy of the file, select all the symbols and Convert to Group. This will give you the geometry, but not the actual resources.

Are your symbols really special enough that someone is going to be able to use them without needing you to know what to do with them?

23 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Are your symbols really special enough that someone is going to be able to use them without needing you to know what to do with them?

That’s the key thing. Will it impact back on you if others should use your symbols?

You can at least purge the file before sharing it so that only resources actually being used are in the file. 

Thanks all for your replies. It was a question because I've spent quite a lot of time designing my own resources so giving them to others will obviously result in them being used elsewhere but I suppose that's the rub if you're self employed. 🙂

I too have spent many many hours developing my own resources and systems, but if I consider how much I have benefited from other peoples generosity in sharing both what they know and what they have then I have no qualms sharing whatever I have. What goes round comes around and overall makes for positive outcomes.

cheers

• Like 4