Sideways projection

Hi

I know this has been discussed before but I am still looking for the definitive method.

For projection mapping projects I often end up needing my projectors to stand on their side, or other weird angles. But 90° sidways is an example. 9:16 instead of 16:9.

I can break the symbol and do what i want with it of course, but with the obvious drawback of loosing all parametrics.

Is that just the way it is?

@C. Andrew Dunning is there something in your tools that address this?

Cheerio

Are you looking at the drawing of the actual projector or visualizing the image?

For the video screen tool, you can select an aspect ratio that is inverted, for example 9:16 is an option. For the projector symbol, you have to separately swap it out with one where the projector is oriented on its side. The standard library has side versions for all the projectors. 

I offer a plug-in called ProjectionViz that focuses more on planning and image visualization than the physical screen and projector. You can set the projector to any rotation along its axis, and parameters like lens shift function as they would in real life. If you display a projector at the projection cone, the symbol will rotate in 3D along with the image, though the 2D representation does not change. https://benghiatlighting.com/software/products/pv-1

Hi

I am just interested in projector position and frostums. Calculating how many projectors, with what specs and oriented how, do i need to cover a certain mapping scenario.

Your tool looks great. I will be sure to check it out. I just made a feature request as well. You never know

@trashcan have you checked out this tool?

Edited by fuberator

There are 2 things at-play, here:
1)  The "Aspect" at the top of the OIP is only for the screen.  This doesn't have anything to do with the projector's orientation, though.  So, you COULD choose a "portrait" screen (9:16) but still have a "landscape" projector.
2)  Projectors oriented on their sides (portrait) are signified by the word "Side" in their names.  This tells the tool to make calculations based on this orientation.  Again, this COULD mean having a "landscape" screen and a "portrait" projector with overshoot @ the top and bottom of the screen.  This approach applies to Video Screen (VS4-Projection) and Blended Screen (VS4-Blended).

Does this help??