Worksheet Default Font

This is probably a insanely simple one but I cannot find it and I'm sure I'm not alone.

What determines the default font for a worksheet and how is that controllable?

We used a standard font for a while.  I am using a different font for things now.  I have noticed that the choosing the "standard" font from the text menu doesn't seem to carry over to worksheets.  I never really noticed before because the previous font was so close to Arial.  It appears for me it is defaulted to variations of Arial. 

Any thoughts?

Edited by MattG

If, when you create a new worksheet from the resource manager, the first thing that you do when the worksheet is created (before using the create report command or anything else)  is go to the File menu on the worksheet itself and select Preferences. You can format the font that the worksheet uses from here. All entries into that worksheet should use that font style after that.

This is how I have been solving this quandary for a little while now and it works fine for me.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

@markdd I agree that this is currently the best way to deal with the issue through the interface. BUT (using Beach Boys voice) "Wouldn't it be nice" to be able to set the default once in a template file and not have to do it for every worksheet? 😉

I agree. Perhaps just taking the Global font settings at the time the worksheet is created would be the simplest and best way to do this?

So @Pat Stanford it is funny I randomly came across one of your "global font change" scripts kind of looking at this.  I knew this existed but I always had it in the back of my head that it was editable and I was just being lazy and not hunting down the culprit.  I am in the event industry and have a bit of time on my hands.  It is funny some of these relatively glaring gaps in things I think I'm finding. 

44 minutes ago, markdd said:

If, when you create a new worksheet from the resource manager, the first thing that you do when the worksheet is created (before using the create report command or anything else)  is go to the File menu on the worksheet itself and select Preferences. You can format the font that the worksheet uses from here. All entries into that worksheet should use that font style after that.

This is how I have been solving this quandary for a little while now and it works fine for me.

I have done this in the past.  However I wish that the "Preference" change would apply to all subsequent worksheets.  It seems somewhat tedious.  I also find that in spotlight I use the spotlight - reports - create report option a lot because I may not always know what the database or field of something is.  Sometimes I just go through and delete unwanted columns and call it good.  But I do wish I knew where VW decides to take that font value from just to change it.  Not a huge deal but more of an annoyance I guess. 

• Like 1

It looks like I was wrong. The setting that I can access by script is a per worksheet option. Just the equivalent of the Preferences button @markdd mentioned.  :-(

But in digging around, I did find where the default font is stored in the preferences. But changing that does not change the default used in Worksheets.

I think we are out of luck for now.  File an enhancement request to be able to set a default font for worksheets.

Sorry.

• Like 1