Shared Cloud Folders

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, Christiaan said:

We never use this because it doesn't update the viewports. It only produces a PDF.

@Andy Broomell @_James @Christiaan 

If you are doing Publish, there is a PDF export setting "Update visible out of date viewport prior to exporting. You must have had this setting turned off. The Cloud is definitely doing rendering, not just export. If this is not working for you, I can help you. 

33 minutes ago, inikolova said:

If you are doing Publish, there is a PDF export setting "Update visible out of date viewport prior to exporting. You mush have had this setting turned off. The Cloud is definitely doing rendering, not just export. If this is not working for you, I can help you. 

@inikolova I only ever tried it from the old Cloud Services app. I've never went back and tried again through the Publish command because I never heard any news that viewports could now be updated.

I've just tried now and the first problem I came across is that I can't publish via cloud services from a working file on my local volume. What does this mean, that we save our working files to the VCS? This would negate one of the advantages of using Project Sharing with file sync, which is that you don't clog up the sync queue every time you save your working file. (or maybe I'm doing set up wrong, maybe I can't just move standard project file on to VCS and start working with it?)

Next I tried to generate PDFs of my project file (which is on VCS) via the Cloud Services app, but when I select my project file and click on Cloud processing > Generate PDF it asks me to upload a file. Confusing.

So I synced a normal vwx file and tried the Publish command again. This did indeed update the viewports prior to exporting to PDF, but it didn't update the viewport in my Vectorworks file. That's what I'm after.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Christiaan,

We are currently discussing the possible ways to support Publish on the cloud in a Project sharing environment. Right now, you can only publish on the cloud from a regular .vwx file. And yes, unfortunately, the viewports in your local file would not be updated. This is a long standing wish that we have, but it is a very hard engineering problem to solve. Since the Cloud is doing the viewport update on a copy of the file that you submitted, how do we merge the updated viewports back to your copy? What If you changed something that affected these viewports? We can easily save another copy in your storage named "_rendered", but then you end up with different files after each rendering, which I think is not ideal also. The best way in my opinion would be if we can find a way to hook up cloud processing to the Update viewport button right within Vectorworks. 

• Like 2
Just now, inikolova said:

The best way in my opinion would be if we can find a way to hook up cloud processing to the Update viewport button right within Vectorworks. 

Ha! Seriously, I was just thinking about this because when I was fiddling about I thought that's what might have happened when I updated a viewport. It didn't of course but it occurred to me that this would actually be very useful.