Hardscape issues

LisaErn

Question

Hi!

I have some problems with the hardscape tool and I need some help since I don't know if this is due to program limitations, bugs or my lack of knowledge.

In this project we have groups with walls which are "wave-shaped" and varies in width. For this I thought the hardscape tool would bee the best way to go. I really like how I can adjust heights and slope options. I use the 2D plan-lines and fill them with polygon tool and then create Hardscapes. All of them is created as Slab Modifyer (top), since I want to adjust the heights on top. Everything looks just fine, except three of them, made red in the Attributes panel. 

Instead of building thickness from top down as the others, they are building from the bottom and up, even though they all have the same top-down properties. I dont know why this is and I can't find any way around it. If I use 1m thickness or -1m thickness, both of them are building upwards!

How can I fix this?

Kind regards

Lisa

Till SOM 2021-04-06.vwx

9 answers to this question

@LisaErn I have nothing useful to contribute other than to say:

1. Very creative use of the hardscape tool 🙂

2. I would use modeling tools to execute this instead due to the difficulties hardscapes have with resolving curved boundaries and slopes in an efficient manner.

I don't know why, but this file runs extremely poorly on my computer.  It takes quite a while to switch between hardscapes and investigate the settings used for each.  I did not see any of the usual suspects causing the issue.... datum, thickness direction ( + vs - ), or component definition.

I hope someone else with 2021 takes a look at this and can determine what is going on, as it is strange on initial inspection.

• Like 1

@jeff prince Thank you!

How do you mean with modeling tools? Are there any specific tools you have in mind? Could I still adjust heights in OIP?

Actually most VW-files run poor on our computers, I'm not sure if we are doing sometthing terrible wrong when working in/creating our files? 😬

I am very greatful that you checked our file 😊

/Lisa

@LisaErn I looked at the v2021 file. Very nice forms, and well done if those hardscapes are your preferred method.

Several notes:

The objects in your drawing are VERY far from document origin.  X,Y≈151km,6Mkm.  This can make the drawing misbehave and cause laggy performance.

In a new file, I copy/pasted the objects at 0,0 and still found the drawing unresponsive.  I think because multiple slabs with multiple slopes and cross slopes.  but not sure about that.  Anyway, this new file had laggy performance, too.

Agree with @jeff prince you could probably model these shapes.  Several ways come to mind.

Easiest is with extrudes. Draw with Polygon tool the 2d plan footprints of each shape. Extrude tall enough to envelop the final shape.  Then, in Front view, slice away top and bottom surface as needed with the Split tool.  Or, Alternately, use the Taper Face tool to slope the top and bottom faces.  Cross slopes will be difficult.

Next up would be NURBS. Allows cross slopes.  Draw with Polygon the 2d footprint.  Convert to NURBS, If result is group of NURBS curves, compose the curves - result is a single NURBS curve.  Duplicate and move the duplicate curve up a ways.  Now ungroup and move points up/down with the Reshape tool constrained to Z axis.  Use 2d and 3d guide objects as needed so that points conform with design intent.  When all points in correct locations, Loft Surface (no rail mode) between upper and lower curve.  Enable Create Solid option.

Next up would be Subdivision tool.  Others can explain.

-B

• Like 3
8 hours ago, LisaErn said:

@jeff prince Thank you!

How do you mean with modeling tools? Are there any specific tools you have in mind? Could I still adjust heights in OIP?

Actually most VW-files run poor on our computers, I'm not sure if we are doing sometthing terrible wrong when working in/creating our files? 😬

I am very greatful that you checked our file 😊

/Lisa

@LisaErn No worries 🙂

@Benson Shaw gave you some good advice to start, follow that for sure, especially being far from the origin.

The “modeling tools” would be any of the Vectorworks 3D tools that create geometry rather than style based plugin objects (hardscape, slabs, walls, etc).  Based on the sloped tops and forms in your file, you probably would not be able to achieve a simple way of changing height in the OIP,rather you would edit the source geometry of your 3D.  Extrudes can have their extrusion height modified in the OIP, but those cross slope tops will be difficult to control as Benson mentions.  An alternative strategy with extrude... using subtraction and/or intersections could generate this type of cross slope geometry.  It would be editable for height by editing the Solid and repositioning the geometry used to cur the top.  If keep the edit history of the solids, going back in to edit heights and such is pretty easy.  If these features repeat across the site, using reference files or symbols of the geometry can make life easier.

I’ll try to get an example going for you once I clear some stuff off my plate.  Maybe  @Tom W. will jump in here and show you how it’s done in the meantime.

• Like 1

You could use the 'Section Solids...' command to slice the top off an Extrude. You could use four Grade Objects to form the precise slope + cross slope you want in a rectangular shape then convert them to a 3D Poly + use it to section the extrude.

Then edit the solid section to access the 3D Poly if slope needs to be changed later.

Shame the hardscapes don't work (are laggy) as thought that looked really good. Be good to know precise reason. The curved forms??

Edited by Tom W.
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot @Benson Shaw, @jeff prince and @Tom W.!

I often think choosing the right, or "smartest" tool is a bit tricky but now I have some more tools to try with these shapes 🙂

I thought Vectorworks would be able to work at the correct location, but am I doing it wrong? Well, I like when I see the X and Y posisions at 65... and 15... since that's where we are, but is it possible to also create some kind of local 0 to increase file performance?

1 minute ago, LisaErn said:

I thought Vectorworks would be able to work at the correct location, but am I doing it wrong? Well, I like when I see the X and Y posisions at 65... and 15... since that's where we are, but is it possible to also create some kind of local 0 to increase file performance?

Yes you just need to move the drawing geometry closer to the 'internal origin' (the blue reticle or crosshairs) to avoid performance issues. You do this using the 'Geolocate' tool in the GIS tool set. Use it in the 'Locate' mode (first mode) + click the cursor somewhere on or close to where you're working + this is where the internal origin will be relocated to.

• Like 1