Create Roof From Walls: Incorrect eave height

rl

Hers the problem:

Draw a simple four wall house (8' walls). Roof bearing height at 8' with a 5.5" vert miter cut to account for soffit board and 1x8 fascia with 3/4" reveal. 12" projection. Convert one edge of roof to gable type.

If you measure from bottom of wall to bottom of eave on a double miter cut rafter (roof), the eave height should be to bottom of (horizontal) cut based on vertical miter dimension not from bottom of VW's "refence line" continued out to

vert miter cut line.

Is there a fix for this?

rl

i too have come across the same problem. all i can say is that you have to work around it. create a new layer for the rafter as vectorworks seems to regard the bottom line as a limit. so inoder for anything to be under it it need to be in a layer withint that hight restraint.

also whats all this with feet and inches. MILLIMETERS architects!!!!!!! [smile]

In the Page Menu>Units you have the ability to change your units to milimeters or any other imperial setting. The dialog boxes are then going to use milimeter settings.

Have you run into an instance where this does not apply ?

If you have your units set to milimeters, then any dialog box requiring you to enter in a number value based on length will use the milimeter measurement.

I am asking if you have run into an instance where a dialog box is not asking for a milimeter setting when you have units set to milimeters.

Katie, if you are using VWA, with units set to millimeters, and you choose Model|Select wall Type|Add, the default is set to inches.

I would also have to add, that all the pios have the units in mm, but they have been converted from inches. So, a 24" wide counter top, makes a logical starting point in the USA, but for metric users, 609mm requires changing. This probably sounds trivial, butremember it applies to EVERY part of EVERY pio, so it ends up taking a lot of extra steps. I don't know what the answer is to this without a heap of work from you guys. Except maybe if the VWA PIOs were editable by the end users, at least we could do it once to the PIOs we use the most.

Thanks

They are listed as inches since that is what the standard is when ordering those types of wood. If you go into the edit dialog box, you can change the dimension setting from inches to mm and even to centimeters.

You can edit PIOs thru the Organize menu> Create Plug-In.

You select the plugin, select the section and click on Edit.

You can then change the parameters of the plug-ins.

I STRONGLY reccomend making a duplicate of the plugin and edit the duplicate just in case something bad goes wrong. That will prevent you from reinstalling or getting the PIO and text for the one that is messed up.

Katie,

Most if not all VW PIO'S are not editable due to encrytption since version 9. Even in version 8 no way to acces creat roof from walls mneu PIO at least that I have been able to find. PIO's that anyone creates are editable if they are not encrypted.

rl

Hi rl,

Actually the script is locked, the parameters are not. That is where Katie is talking about. So if you go create plugin, select your copied PIO, there are four buttons below the list, Script; Properties; Parameters; & Insert Options.

Click on Parameters and you will see all the items you can edit in the Palettes. Simply change the default value from what it is to what it needs to be. Next time you use it...Voila it will be correct.

I will add to Katie's warning about the copy, this seems completely harmless, but I toasted my complex window doing this...well this AND moving the order of options so that the ones I used were on top... [smile]

HTH