web view not working again?

jnr

Question

Anyone else having issues with export to web view ? have a very simple model (updated from an older version), runs thru the export/save location, appears to build the .vgx then nothing. window that normally shows up where you can copy a link for a web view doesn't show up. Tried switching to a non-customized workspace but does help. upgraded  to cloud services 9.0 but no go.

restarted 2021 sp 3.1 .nada.

thoughts?

12 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@jnr When I go to cloud.vectorworks.net the vgx file for the web view is there and has a link icon on it.  Does your export show on cloud.vectorworks.net?

You can generate a link and/or QR code for any file on cloud after the fact, if that helps.

It used to automatically open a follow up menu giving me options for QR codes, link etc. No longer happens. I was able to go to cloud.vectorworks.net and find the file however the clip cube is fubar and as usual with walk thru walls turned on the view gets stuck in the wall. Why is this thing so fickle?

@jnr out of curiosity, can you try the Temporary Cloud Storage and see how you get on? I've been having problems with VCS and Temporary Cloud Storage didn't exhibit the same problem.

I find Web View very fickle too. Every time I use it I need to trouble-shoot something.

Edited by Christiaan

@jnr,

I know this sounds obvious, but wanted to double check, as I was not able to reproduce the behavior you are describing: On the Export Web View dialog, do you have the checkbox to obtain a shared link turned on?

Screenshot 2021-04-05 at 12.57.47.png

Best regards,

Iskra Nikolova

Iskra:

Thanks for looking at this. As usual probably operator failure.  Choose temp storage and sharable link grays out (but is on) and it works as advertised. if choosing Vectorworks  or in my case, dropbox as storage options, sharable link is an active option. choosing local storage, link not an option. Is this how its supposed to work?

I initially got some glitchy behavior with the menu as I don't think cloud services fired right away. but then it kicked on and the menu performed as advertised.  weird.

-J

Hi @jnr,

Yes, shared link is an active option only for Vectorworks and Dropbox cloud storages. With both, if you don't get the link at the time of the export, you can always go to cloud.vectorworks.net and generate the shareable link from there. For temporary storage, it is greyed out and turned on, because if you don't receive a link, there is no other way you can get to the file. 

Regarding the behavior when the Cloud Services desktop app is not running, yes - I agree it is not working in the most intuitive way - It shouldn't return to local storage and require you to re-select your cloud-based choice. I will file a bug on your behalf on this.

Best regards,

Iskra Nikolova

Hi @Christiaan,

Do you have a bug number for the problem you are referring to? I remember one bug where export to Temporary Storage was returning a script error, and I believe that was fixed in 2021 SP3. What Vectorworks version are you using?

Best regards,

Iskra Nikolova

Thanks, @Christiaan! I commented on the VB issue with my findings, but I will post a summary here for everyone else to be able to see. The issue you are seeing seems related to the size of the model and this should no longer be an issue with the re-engineered 3D model viewer that we are currently working on. I sent the issue to our engineers to see if we can have a short-term solution. It seems like the current Web View viewer, when used within the web portal, fails to load when the page is reloaded under high memory consumption circumstances.

• Like 1