Data Tag Question

I've made a data tag to callout Hardscape set to 'slab' info.

Two questions:

1. Precision setting aren't working as expected.

I have it grabbing the parameter 'Main Area' with units set to 'square feet' and precision set to '1' (not .01) as I would Like it to report rounded to the nearest  sq ft.

But I'm still getting two degrees of precision -- for example  "376.08 sq ft

When I go back to 'define tag field' units has reset to 'document units' and precision is greyed out - but still set to '1'

Thoughts?

2. How do I get volume of top level component of a hardscape slab? or any components for that mater?

I have a hardscape with 3" of pea stone and 6" of Class II base - would be nice to have the data tag report the pea stone volume.

I don't see any component volume attributes available under the 'object parameters' 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @hollister design Studio,

5 hours ago, hollister design Studio said:

1. Precision setting aren't working as expected.

I have it grabbing the parameter 'Main Area' with units set to 'square feet' and precision set to '1' (not .01) as I would Like it to report rounded to the nearest  sq ft.

But I'm still getting two degrees of precision -- for example  "376.08 sq ft

When I go back to 'define tag field' units has reset to 'document units' and precision is greyed out - but still set to '1'

Thoughts?

- Can you send me a sample file with the area formula that you are using? I suppose there might be something wrong in the formula. Did you press Add to Definition button after you adjusted the units you want to see or did you adjust the units after adding of the formula? If you adjusted the units afterwards, they do not get applied to the already existing formula. The units are being set for the formula that is going to be added, so they take effect after you press the Add to Definition button. Let me know if this is the case or not.

2. How do I get volume of top level component of a hardscape slab? or any components for that mater?

I have a hardscape with 3" of pea stone and 6" of Class II base - would be nice to have the data tag report the pea stone volume.

I don't see any component volume attributes available under the 'object parameters' 

- Unfortunately, currently there is no direct way to report component information using the data tag. You can check this thread for a workaround of how to extract component information, it might help you too -

DATA TAG Question Number Three:

Is it best practice to put these on a Design Layer (Anno for example) or in an annotation space on a Sheet Layer?

- Both design layers and viewport's annotations are valid workflows for the data tag.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

. Did you press Add to Definition button after you adjusted the units you want to see or did you adjust the units after adding of the formula? If you adjusted the units afterwards, they do not get applied to the already existing formula. The units are being set for the formula that is going to be added, so they take effect after you press the Add to Definition button. Let me know if this is the case or not.

'Add to Definition' button - This was it!

I was honestly unsure how to edit (found a good Jonathan Pickup video, but couldn't find and 'official' video - is there one?).

That button appeared to be specific to 'Link Field' parameters so I was over looking it.

Now I see that it applies to all edits.

...I was actually hand typing the 'current tag field definition' area as I couldn't get it to stick otherwise.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Nikolay

It's unfortunate about not being able to scrape component data... hopefully this will be added.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks for the feedback @hollister design Studio,

On 4/2/2021 at 7:53 PM, hollister design Studio said:

(found a good Jonathan Pickup video, but couldn't find and 'official' video - is there one?).

- If you press the '?' on top right in the Define Tag Field dialog you should get to the official VW help for this dialog and in there you can find examples and more detailed information about everything in this dialog.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov