Sloped Slab + Self-Leveling Floor

I haven't totally given up on the Slab Drainage tool but I'm hoping to accomplish:

• Sloped slab (3" lower at one end)
    • Sloped ADA ramp at front doors (4" rise over 48")
      • Sloping up on the sides as well
  • Self-leveling layer of epoxy sand fill, starting at the high point of the sloped slab

I am in no way married to using parametric architectural tools. I am 100% open to modeling these components from scratch. I'm really just stuck with the best way to get this done. I've been trying to use an Interpolated Nurbs Surface but it keeps resetting to a standard NURBS Surface.

The Slab Drainage may work for the slab if I can figure out how to edit / reshape the ADA ramp / transition.

The self-leveler seems like it might be a subtract solids command (subtract the sloped slab) but then I still have to carve out the ADA ramp... Ironically, the slab drainage tool Tapered feature does the exact opposite of what I need. I'm almost at the point of creating a DTM with site modifiers to model these slab / flooring components... 

Lastly, I have to add a few other layers like a vapor barrier and top finish (epoxy terrazzo) but those seem more manageable.

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 3.35.21 PM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto

OK finally got the slab by straight up modeling with Subtract Solids, and all the edges filleted!

Next:

1. Add self-leveling epoxy sand layer
    • Think I'm going to have to subtract another solid for the self-leveling layer
    • Then reuse and subtract the same solid for the ADA ramp again
  2. Add 1/2" thick epoxy terrazzo layer
    • Hoping I can extract face and extrude 1/2"
    • I don't think draping the surface can have thickness, right?

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 8.39.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 8.40.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 8.41.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 8.49.53 PM.png

• Like 1

Hi @Mark Aceto you can do it using a Slab rather than a Solid Subtraction if you wanted:

1. Create a tapered slab with a fall to one side.
  2. Use ‘Create Solid Section from Grade Objects’ command to create the entrance ramps.
  3. Run ‘Subtract 3D Object from Slab’ command to subtract the solid sections from the Slab.

923264102_Screenshot2021-03-31at07_26_09.thumb.png.7a75f6e93295564c9f8b43bba0f3926c.png

984667014_Screenshot2021-03-31at07_26_18.thumb.png.3bafa6d5cd3eb56ca628ab4d852ef28e.png

333985728_Screenshot2021-03-31at07_26_36.thumb.png.c3c26ae471a255dbcaf83e3794ce1d29.png

I didn't apply any fillets to the Solid Addition before I subtracted it from the slab but you can do

Edited by Tom W.
  • Like 1

@Tom W. thanks! I really need to remember to explore the AEC commands for modifying slabs, walls, etc.

Couple questions:

• Whenever I fillet or chamfer a slab, that (sort of) converts the objet to a filet or chamfer (which I can remove later but why would I?)
    • Is there a better way of managing this, so I can still see all of the slab attributes?
  • How would you approach the self-leveler for the layer on top (1/8" thick minimum at the high end of the slope)?
    • I need that to follow the slope of the top of the slab on the bottom, and be level on top
      • Epoxy terrazzo layer sits on top of the self-leveler (1/2" thick)
        • All layers follow the countered surface of the ADA ramp

The nice thing about the vapor barrier is that I can add a component to the slab which is pretty sweet!

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 9.09.07 AM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto

Getting warmer but I'm stuck logically... 

I subtracted the 3D solid (ramp object) from the new slab, and filleted the edges, which converted the slab to a fillet. Now, I could just repeat this step for a 3rd slab object but what I'd rather do is add the epoxy terrazzo component to the 2nd slab. But I can't because it's a fillet. If I remove the fillet, add the component, and then reapply the fillet, it will scrape out the thickness on the edges... 

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 9.33.50 AM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto
2 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Not 100% sure of the specifics of what you're trying to do but I would try + apply any chamfer or fillet using the Subtract 3D Object from Slab command I.e. create an Extrude Along Path + subtract that. Then the floor will remain a Slab 

I can do that for half the inner / bottom edges but not the outer / crown edges, right?

2 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

You should be able to include all the components that make up the floor construction in a single slab I would have thought 

The issue I'm running into is that subtract 3D objects cuts through everything. Even if I add a component after the subtraction, it gets hacked. But what you're suggesting is exactly what I'm hoping for: a single slab with all 3 components properly layered in and leveled (still showing the slab attributes labels). Surely I'm not the first person to attempt this operation... ?

Hmm I see what you mean now... You want to wrap the terrazzo into the ramp. You could probably do it using the 'Add 3D Object to Slab...' command but it would be very fiddly given the shape of the ramp, especially with the fillets on it! 

You would include the terrazzo in the slab components then where the terrazzo is removed as part of the 'Subtract 3D Object from Slab...' operation to form the ramp, add it back in again - in the correct location - using the  'Add 3D Object to Slab...' command. It would require you to model the terrazzo as a 3D object then add it to the terrazzo slab component.

You'd have to do exactly the same thing for the component underneath if this needs to follow the shape of the ramp as well. So quite fiddly but I'm sure is possible.

You'd need to remove more material when you do the  'Subtract 3D Object from Slab...' operation to give yourself the space to add the components back again if that makes sense...

Maybe someone else knows better

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. Wow. Ok so I'm assuming this is an existing concrete floor which is sloping + you're laying a self-leveller on top so that the terrazzo finish is level? The underside of the concrete slopes as well like you've shown?

But if the concrete was existing presumably you wouldn't seek to cut the ramp into it as shown??

I'm intrigued!

• Like 1

@Mark Aceto Modeling strategy aside, like @Tom W., I'm curious about this design too.

Some of the things that catch my eye...

It does not appear to be a code compliant ramp.

I'm curious why you are doing those fillet edges.  Seems like a lot of trouble unless it's required for some reason.

I'm wondering if it's an existing condition, new construction, or just an exercise in modeling and what the final desired outcome is.

43 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Thanks for sharing. Wow. Ok so I'm assuming this is an existing concrete floor which is sloping + you're laying a self-leveller on top so that the terrazzo finish is level? The underside of the concrete slopes as well like you've shown?

But if the concrete was existing presumably you wouldn't seek to cut the ramp into it as shown??

I'm intrigued!

Existing concrete slab slopes as drawn. We’re planning to self-level the floor from the highest point with epoxy sand fill, and then add a 1/2” layer of epoxy terrazzo on top of that.

I’m doing a study to see how much elevation we’re adding. We’ll have to grind the existing slab for the ramp... I’m in the early rounds of working through all of this with architect, contractor, regulatory... so I just want to have a starting point to that conversation as the design develops. I’m certainly not looking forward to revisions the way it’s currently modeled.... vs my parametric hopes and dreams of simply editing a slab style.

@Mark Aceto I put this together quickly. Two slabs: the bottom one for the existing concrete floor with the fall, the slope generated with the Slab Drainage tool. The top one has the self leveller + terrazzo components + is a fixed thickness slab but I used 'Subtract 3D Objects from Slab' to clip the underside to the correct slope. Then I used 'Subtract 3D Objects from Slab' again to clip the ramp in the top of the slab. I purposely did it so it didn't clip the concrete to make life easier both in VW + in reality when comes to build it but accept you may not have the height to do this. Then used 'Add 3D Object to Slab' to add terrazzo into the ramp.

193009349_Screenshot2021-04-01at06_18_32.thumb.png.425aab0323f0ac3ef3f8cb2a8dcff8d6.png

1720527629_Screenshot2021-04-01at06_18_53.thumb.png.24df5fdecfc6e74d0465a04bff57c896.png

1617611879_Screenshot2021-04-01at06_20_58.thumb.png.007c1f5c19994ec847f8f3d975228ae2.png

Also I didn't put the fillets on the ramp edges but you could still do this, you'd just need to model them into the 3D solid you use for the subtracting + adding operations.

• Like 3