data tags in symbols????

I would love an answer on this.  Wall tags within symbols disappearing upon publishing??? Once again I've had to go through an entire project xploding tags within symbols to groups to get them visible in publishing. These are 'smart object' that I have to lobotomize - its criminal.

Hi Nikolay

sorry for the delay - appreciate you interest. As no one else has complained am hoping it is operator error...

I pasted a unit symbol w/ wall tags and a space into a new file. When you open the file you may or may not see wall tags or a space description . Should look like the screen shot (though door tags went crazy) image.thumb.png.c761f3a684c6a2f145235515071cb5a8.png

If not edit the symbol paste in a new tag and select all (18 wall tags will be listed - hit  the scale text and uncheck and recheck and they will all appear (also if you hit other options). Go to publish the sheet and they will all disappear again or will randomly disappear at any point or from some walls and not others. Ditto with the space and door tags change size. With the space tag it reappears if you modify any description. Am hoping to find some time to create my own tag to see if it is more stable but as it applies any symbol within the symbol didn't feel too optimistic

thanks

John

.SAMPLE SYMBOL.vwx

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @station,

Thanks for sending a test file, now I see what is the issue. We already know of this bug and will try to fix it when possible. The reason why this is happening is that your Data Tags get reset by the Publish command, while the Sheet Layer is active, which causes them to think that they are in a 1:1 scale and shrink down in size.

Here are some suggestions for workarounds that you can use for now:

1) When publishing, open PDF export options and deselect "Reselt all plugin objects that require a reset prior to exporting". That way the Data tags will not get reset during the publish and will keep their size correct.

2) The usual workflow with Data Tags is to use them directly in the Design layers or in viewports' annotations. If it is ok for you to change your workflow and place your objects directly in the Design Layer (instead of in a symbol), then you can tag these objects directly in the Design layer or from the Viewport's annotations. That way your Data Tags will work correctly, no matter of the scale.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

thanks @Nikolay Zhelyazkov - great to have a solution for publishing (figured there was some setting somewhere controlling visibility). As for workflow - for a tag to be functional it has to be attached to the object (wall in this case) and the wall is in a symbol so no real options there other than exploding them and creating a block outside the symbol or what I do is have an unassigned tag that I place over the symbol and type in the data. In viewport sections I find the wall tags don't always recognize the wall so stopped using them and use an unassigned

thanks again.

john