3D Object Fill

Angles1

Question

Hey all,

Im struggling to fill a simple 3D shape. Attribute of object is set to solid with a colour. 

Im creating a rectangle in Right isometric view and am extruding the shape, however no fill colour is applied. Every video I watch on YouTube where people create and extrude a rectangle in the same way shows the shape with a colour. 

Can anybody tell me what im missing. 

Thanks in advance!!!

Matt

4 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Basic question but this is in OpenGL render mode right?

Thanks for Replying!

So oddly Ive been trying to go into openGL via the teapots on the taskbar with no success. I have just tried now going to Open GL via 'View>Rendering>OpenGL" which has immediately fixed the issue. I assumed this was the same thing?

3D objects do not display a fill in Top/Plan view. In Top/Plan then display as wireframe. In both views they display as filled.

If you need a 3D object to display as filled in Top/Plan you can:

Use a different type of object (Slab, Floor, etc.)

Make the object into a symbol and add a 2D (screen plane) component to display in Top/Plan

Make the object into an Autohybrid using the command from the AEC menu.

This all relates back to VW's concept of hybrid objects and that it is often beneficial to be able to show different information in Top/Plan (think door swings) and what is shown in 3D models. This concept is critical to the lighting/entertainment industry where a light plot needs to look different than the 3D model for clarity.

• Like 1